How avoid to mention custom port number at destination server?

• Hi.

SQL custom port number configured instead of default port 1433..

I need to mention custom port number to destination side for connecting database..

How to avoid at destination side? SQL Browser service stopped for there is no multiple instance in server also I tried started browser service then tried destination server without mention custom port number and its failed.

Pl. suggest.

Thanks

• turn on the SQL Browser. that's it's entire purpose.

if you are not going to run the SQL Browser service, i believe that on each and every client that is going to connect, you have to create an alias,and the alias can have the port.

that also means you will have to perform a tour of the desks, or push the alias out via active directory.

here's the first resource i found with my Google-Fu:

https://blog.mariusschulz.com/2014/02/09/how-to-configure-a-sql-server-alias-for-a-named-instance-on-a-development-machine

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Hi Lowell,

1. I turned on SQL browser service then SQL instance does not connect without custom port. it would connect after mentioned port.

2. Does it require and mandatory to create alias name with name of SQL instance? for avoiding the mention custom port number every client side.

In my case SQL instance name is default that is server name.

Please. suggest.

Thanks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply