How can I delete data from a field every 24 hours to the second based on a bit field?

• Fellow DBA's,

How can I delete data from a field every 24 hours to the second based on a bit field?  The process should delete data from a field based on a bit field showing complete.  Please enlighten me!

Thanks! 

• You need to define what you mean.  If you mean for example that you want to delete every single record at midnight that was marked complete until 11:59:59, then you need to have a datetime field to accompany the bit field.  There's a 99% chance on most systems that's all it will delete anyway, but we have systems here that are still doing 100-150 t/sec so it would by no means be a guarantee.  So, add a datestamp column. 

If this isn't what you are talking about, then give table structure, a few rows of sample data, and a result set explaining what you are trying to achieve.

Derrick Leggett
    Mean Old DBA
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

• Mean Old DBA,

I'm trying to delete data from the "Response" column based on whether the "Completed" column has a status of '1'.  It should only delete the "Response" column data if the "DateIn" data is older than 48 hours.  This can run as a stored procedure in a job, DTS, or whatever gets it done, and can be scheduled every night.      

Table: TransactionRequests

Columns: DateIn (datetime, null), Response (ntext, null), Completed (bit, not null)

Data (same order as columns above):  "2004-04-29 10:39:00.883"

"Me2jogzwE5j+xbs9M4urEu51gjIayxD8j0in4tMTuli8"

"1"

Hope this helps,

DBA Dave

• Try this

Delete from TransactionRequests

Where DateDiff(hh,getdate(),datein)>48

AND Completed = 1

• That worked!  I actually changed the statement to update the response field only and empty out the data.

Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply