How Can I Update Data From An Email Attachment ?

• I need to update SQL 2005 from an email attachment, which is a delimited Excel 2010 file. The same named file is delivered to me with updated data throughout the day. Does anyone know, how I can automate this to update SQL 2005

• There's no simple way to automate the retrieval of the email attachment in SSIS specifically. You could write a custom PowerShell script and execute that as a custom task or script within SSIS. Then import the data like any other file.

• If your company is willing to spend some money, you may want to look at this: http://pragmaticworks.com/Products/Business-Intelligence/TaskFactory/SSIS-read-email-source.aspx.

• clucasi (6/11/2012)

I need to update SQL 2005 from an email attachment, which is a delimited Excel 2010 file. The same named file is delivered to me with updated data throughout the day. Does anyone know, how I can automate this to update SQL 2005

If you can use third-party solutions, check the commercial COZYROC Receive Mail Task. You can retrieve email from your server using IMAP/Exchange/POP3 protocol , then extract the attachments from the email. No programming skills are required.

---
    SSIS Tasks Components Scripts Services | http://www.cozyroc.com/

• clucasi (6/11/2012)

I need to update SQL 2005 from an email attachment, which is a delimited Excel 2010 file. The same named file is delivered to me with updated data throughout the day. Does anyone know, how I can automate this to update SQL 2005

Did you ever get this resolved?

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• No, the work around was to write script that extracts the attachment and saves the file to a folder, its a bit clunky and doesn't always work, I have looked at the third party solution but my company doesn't want to use them.:-P

• clucasi (7/2/2012)

No, the work around was to write script that extracts the attachment and saves the file to a folder, its a bit clunky and doesn't always work, I have looked at the third party solution but my company doesn't want to use them.:-P

There are lots of people on this forum that are fluent in C#, myself included. If you post your script and describe some of the conditions that occur when it 'doesn't always work' you may get some assistance shoring it up, so it is a bit more reliable.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply