How can the dymnamic filtering functionality of Access/Excel be implemented in SSRS?

• We have an SSRS report with a dataset that calls a stored procedure. This stored procedure cannot be changed, and the report parameters cannot be changed.

We would like the user to be able to filter the report dynamically in the same sort of way that filtering is done when viewing an Access table or an Excel spreadsheet.

For example, to see only the data for a particular client, we would like the user to be able to click on the ClientNumber column header, see a list of possible values that are contained in the data, and select one or more values, after which the report will only display those rows with the selected ClientNumber(s).

Just to re-iterate the limitations at the beginning of this post: the stored procedure that this report calls cannot be changed, and no new report parameters can be added to the report.

This is a very basic reporting requirement, and I am sure most SSRS developers out there have come across this problem. How can this be implemented?

• This sounds like and ideal job for report parameters, without being able to use them i am not sure it is possible..

• I believe the only way you could do this is to either:

1) Add or alter the current report parameters to be data driven and then set the parameter properties so that it is a multiselect drop down list based on client.

Or

2) Export the report to Excel and filter it there.

MCSE: Data Platform
    MCSE: Business Intelligence
    Follow me on Twitter: @WazzTheBadger
    LinkedIn Profile: Simon Osborne

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply