how can we copy one database table to another DB table?

• Then I guess you must have got this as an Interview question somewhere.

Rather than that I have not idea why would you want to do it.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• I was not the one that ask the question so whether I or you for that matter want to do it is not relevant.

As for the interview comment there is no need for personal attacks. I was simply providing an answer to a question as it was asked. I am sure he new about using insert or he would have never included that in the original question. Maybe he has a valid reason for not wanting to use it.

Have a good day

• I don't have any intensions of personal attacks on any one, since I have been following the post, I am surprised would there be anyone trying for a way to move Data without inserting or coding?

These Forums are not for fun to try the untried or finding the most rarest feets. These Forums are for problem solving and I would as always work towards that.

There was never a comment why he would want to do it and that's why I doubted.

Hope that clarifies.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• Bru Medishetty (10/29/2009)

These Forums are not for fun to try the untried or finding the most rarest feets. These Forums are for problem solving and I would as always work towards that.

I only partially agree with this comment. These forums are a great way to solve problems but are also a great way for discovery. I've seen so many different techniques for accomplishing the same task (some good and some not so good). These forumns are just one tool in our DBA bag for working through problems and learning new things. Additionally I have seen lots of "just fun" posts.

The suggestion about the "copy and paste" did answer the poster's question, however I think the majority of us said "yuk, why would you do that". I even commented that I don't think it would work for a "large" amount of records. In fact, his post left me thinking that I would like to see what the limit of the "copy/paste" technique actually is. I suppose this depends on row size (bytes) so it may be harder to determine.

• Steve,

I agree every one has a different view and no two would exactly on similar lines.

But my point here was, the one who started this thread has never come back atleast once and said why was wanting this? Someone who is really in need of the issue to be resolved would post a response if its solved / still unsolved or so...

In the past we have seen some guys posting Interview questions as if they wanted to achieve that task.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• Bru,

Very true.

I guess our work is complete.

• BCP OUT and BCP IN in the fastest and old fashioned export import method

• If you need to do this frequently then best way to do this with SSIS using its fast load option.

[font="Verdana"]--www.sqlvillage.com[/size][/font]

• That is exactly what I would do ... COPY then Paste.

mrh.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply