How do I add a column to one dataset from another?

• I have an XML source file and I need to place values from it into database tables. The issue is that I want to use one of the values as a value in multiple tables. How do I get access to use the field more than once? I am able to read that portion of the xml to a table, but I can not figure out how to access that field again and place it in another table with another portion of the xml file. The example below will help describe my issue. I want to be able to add a column to a Models table that uses RSID as a column. Models includes name, val, and count - and I want to add a column to the table with the RSID value.

Any help is appreciated.

• Your example did not appear, but you should check out the Multicast transformation to see whether it gives you what you need ... one source to multiple destinations.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Thanks for responding, but I tried multicasting and it does not do what I need. I think you can see the xml file now. The issue is that the field I need is in a different "group" in the xml. Can I some how set a variable to the field's value and use the variable in the derived column task?

Thanks

• Ah, yes, I see it now. That would require detailed knowledge of importing from XML, which I do not have, sorry:-) But, in SSIS, there's always a way ... it's just not always obvious. Someone else will help, I'm sure.

Phil

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• im not so sure what you need , if you want to get all the values in a single query this is an example :

--you may need to change the XML to your original source since this editor change it:

declare @strXML xml

set @strXML=N'

'

select Tbl.C.value('@name', 'nvarchar(50)') as [name] ,

Tbl.C.value('@val', 'nvarchar(50)') as val,

Tbl.C.value('@count', 'nvarchar(50)')as [count],

(select Tbl.C.value('@rsid', 'nvarchar(50)')as rsid

from @strXML.nodes('/solution/specifications/sessiondata') AS Tbl(C) ) as rsid

from @strXML.nodes('/solution/results/financialresults/modelstotal/product') AS Tbl(C)

• PEPEPACO_1980 (7/6/2009)

im not so sure what you need , if you want to get all the values in a single query this is an example :

--you may need to change the XML to your original source since this editor change it:

declare @strXML xml

set @strXML=N'

'

from @strXML.nodes('/solution/results/financialresults/modelstotal/product') AS Tbl(C)

Thanks for the response.

What I need to do is read the xml file (XML source) and then be able to place the RSID value in a table with the models values. So I will end up with a database table with columns RISD, name, value, count. So do I use a script task or component to place the RSID value in a variable and then use derived column to add the RSID value to the Modelstotal dataset? Then place it in a table?

I do not understand placing this code in the xml file. Can you explain? Sorry I am very new to this.

Thanks

• just pass your xml as it is to a stored procedure that accepts a xml parameter like this:

CREATE procedure [dbo].[SP_GET_MODELS] (@strXML xml)

insert into MODEL

end

leave the part of parsing the XML to the SQL Server side. hope this helps

• So this does not even use SSIS? Correct?

I need a package or procedure that will read in multiple xml files and place the data in database tables.

How would you suggest I do this? With or without SSIS?

Thanks

• I think what PEPEPACO_1980 is saying is to use a stored proceudure to parse out your XML instead of an XML data source adapter. Still use SSIS to process your files, but don't use the XML source adapter.

I think there's a way to do this with the XML adapter. I don't even see the RSID element in the XML that you've posted. Can you post an xsd file?

John Rowan

======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• if you have full control of the destination DB and it is only one, then move the SQL to a Stored procedure, if the destination tables are in multiple servers the add a "SQL Task" to you SSIS project. so you can add more destinations later.

it depends on how it will be easier for you to support in the future. it can be done in both ways.

regards.

• Here is the an xml file and xsd file.

XML

XSD File

• It looks like your xml/xsd did not show up. You may want to use the Preview option before posting.

John Rowan

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• im had issues to post XML from iexplorer too, it worked when used chrome.

regards.

• Trying again.

XML

• XSD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply