How do I effectively use a spatial index

• In doing some stored procedure tuning, I recently came across one that is trying to find all of the locations within a given distance from the point passed in. I tried adding a geography column (I called it "geo" as this is a proof of concept) to the table of locations and putting a spatial index on it and then changing the procedure like so:

alter procedure FindLocations (@lat float, @long float, @distance int) as

declare @p geography = geography::Point(@lat, @long, 4326)

set @distance *= 1609.344 --convert distanct from miles to meters; geography distance returned in meters

select LocationID from Locations where geo.STDistance(@point) < @distance

When I look at the query plan, the spatial index on the geo column isn't being used. Even if I force it with a query hint, it gives worse performance than the table scan that it chooses in the absence of such a hint. Is there something that I'm missing such that the spatial index isn't being used? Thanks in advance.

• It works for me with a test script.

You can see how the following works for you:

use tempdb

GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[geo1](

[id] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[latlong] [geography] NULL,

CONSTRAINT [PK_geo1] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[id] ASC

)

)

GO

CREATE SPATIAL INDEX [sp1] ON [dbo].[geo1]

(

[latlong]

)USING GEOGRAPHY_GRID

WITH (

GRIDS =(LEVEL_1 = MEDIUM,LEVEL_2 = MEDIUM,LEVEL_3 = MEDIUM,LEVEL_4 = MEDIUM),

CELLS_PER_OBJECT = 16, PAD_INDEX = OFF, SORT_IN_TEMPDB = OFF, DROP_EXISTING = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

insert into geo1 (latlong)

select top 100000 geography::Point((ABS(CHECKSUM(newid()))%1000000)*0.00001,(ABS(CHECKSUM(newid()))%1000000)*0.00001, 4326)

from sys.all_columns c1,sys.all_columns c2

go

-----------------

-- The query below should use the spatial index

declare @lat float=5.55

declare @long float=6.66

declare @p geography = geography::Point(@lat, @long, 4326)

declare @distance int

set @distance=10000

select *, latlong.Lat, latlong.Long, latlong.STDistance(@p)

from geo1

where latlong.STDistance(@p)<@distance

• I ran your script and looked at the execution plan; it's using a clustered index scan on the table. I'm running on SQL2008 SP1 if that makes a difference.

StmtText

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|--Compute Scalar(DEFINE:([Expr1005]=[tempdb].[dbo].[geo1].[latlong].STDistance([@p])))

|--Compute Scalar(DEFINE:([Expr1003]=[tempdb].[dbo].[geo1].[latlong].Lat, [Expr1004]=[tempdb].[dbo].[geo1].[latlong].Long))

|--Parallelism(Gather Streams)

|--Filter(WHERE:([tempdb].[dbo].[geo1].[latlong].STDistance([@p])<CONVERT_IMPLICIT(float(53),[@distance],0)))

|--Clustered Index Scan(OBJECT:([tempdb].[dbo].[geo1].[PK_geo1]))

• I have SQL2008 development edition SP1 CU6

select @@version

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1) - 10.0.2757.0 (X64) Jan 8 2010 19:55:08 Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation Developer Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7600: )

Maybe this is something they have fixed after SP1 ?

• Yeah, I'm on Enterprise Edition SP1 vanilla. When I get a spare minute, I'll start looking through the CUs and see if any of them addressed spatial index usage. Thanks for your help!

• Here's some info regarding the spatial index in SQL Geometry and MAXDOP

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/625896/spatial-index-not-used-on-multiproc-machine-unless-maxdop-set-downward#details

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply