How do i get around this "parameter has already been defined" error?

• My parameter can be a combination of formats and it can be in two different columns . . dashed/no dashes; or in PD_ID or in Like PD ID

if object_id('TEMPDB..#temp1') is not null
    drop table #temp1;

select * into #temp1 from
    (select distinct
    [PD_ID]
    , [LIKE_PD_ID]
    , [FLAT_LIKE_PD_ID]
    , [FLAT_PD_ID]
    from
    [ADHOC].[TEST_PDLINK] P
    where
    P.PD_ID in (@Part)
    or p.like_PD in (@part)
    or P.Flat_PD-ID in (@part)
    or p.Flat_LIKE_PD_DI in (@Part)
    ) as test
    select * from #temp1
  • Are you sure it's a SQL Server's message? Can you post exact text and message ID?

--Vadim R.

• Can you post the rest of the code? If it says parameter has been defined, that means you're defining a parameter, but we can't see that in what you posted.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Judging by your other question I suspect this is SQL in an SSRS dataset? SSRS, when using the syntax {Expression} IN (@Parameter) with a multi-value parameter injects the values instead, replaceing the value of @Parameter with the list; so the query isn't actually parametrised. This is in contrast with syntax like {Expression} = @Parameter, where SSRS does use a parametrised query.

Due to this "feature", and the fact that you are referencing @part, multiple times in the WHERE, SSRS is basically falling over itself. I would suggest instead using an SP, and splitting the value using something like delimitedsplit8k_lead (I assume you are on 2014, and not 2016+). So, your SP would look something like this:

CREATE PROC ADHOC.PartSearch @part varchar(8000)
    AS
    BEGIN

--Not sure why you were using a Temporary table, this is unneeded overhead

SELECT DISTINCT
    [PD_ID],
    [LIKE_PD_ID],
    [FLAT_LIKE_PD_ID],
    [FLAT_PD_ID]
    FROM [ADHOC].[TEST_PDLINK] AS P
    JOIN dbo.DelimitedSplit8K_lead(@Part,',') DS ON P.PD_ID = DS.Item
    OR P.like_PD = DS.Item
    OR P.Flat_PD - PID = DS.Item --Seems odd to take an ID away from something
    OR P.Flat_LIKE_PD_DI = DS.Item;

END;

Then, in SSRS, change the dataset type to a Stored Procedure and select ADHOC.PartSearch (or whatever you ended up calling it).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply