How do pros store Critical Employee info in tables?

• Hi everyone!,

I have a basic question and pardon me if I sound dumb about it.

How do you store critical information such as passwords, SSN, Salary info in tables?

For example are passwords stored as binary or varbinary? What about Salary info? SSN? DOB? What is the best datatypes for storing this sensitive info?

I am sure employees at corporations are concerned if the DBA or anyone with the authority can dig into the employee tables and find out how much they make a year.

I have never been involved in the design of the tables but I want to learn; and I believe this is the right place to ask, I would like to hear it from the pros.

Are there any good books that cover all of this out there? Can anyone recommend one? When I took database analysis and design at school, we barely touch this topic.

Thanks in advance

Ed

• I'd store as varbinary with encryption done by the business layer.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Thanks for the reply.

Varbinary, is that just for the password field or for all the mentioned fields such as SSN, Salary info?

Thanks

Ed

• ed-1075072 (10/8/2009)

... or for all the mentioned fields such as SSN, Salary info?

all columns you want to protect.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • For passwords, I typically just store a hash. Use a one-way function, compare hashes to see if it's a valid input.

• I store sensitive information encrypting it from the business layer and into a varbinary/varchar column.

"Keep Trying"

• For passwords, I typically just store a hash. Use a one-way function, compare hashes to see if it's a valid input.

Can you please elaborate a little bit more on this method?

I heard about hash but I'm not sure how to use it.

Thanks

Ed.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply