How do you define employee satisfaction?

• dietztm - Monday, April 10, 2017 2:04 PM

IowaDave - Monday, April 10, 2017 1:53 PM

Eric M Russell - Monday, April 10, 2017 8:37 AM

Job satisfaction is multi-faceted issue: Pay / Commute / Comradery / Career Growth. You can leave a job in search of one facet only to discover that you've ultimately lost another, so it can become a sort of dilemma where you must pick any three of four. Which is more important depends on where you are in your career and life. Most of us start out with pay as the single most deciding factor, but then learn over time that without career growth potential the pay aspect will stagnate. However, the quest for more pay and better career growth will probably result in commuting to a different part of the city. Good comradery with team-mates is an equalizer that can help mitigate what you're lacking in another facet of your job, but that's often times a luck of the draw; you don't always know whether you'll click with your new team until after you've settled into the job.

If you change "Pay" to "Compensation", you have the 4 Cs of a successful career! ... Maybe you should write a book!!?!? 😉

Add "Conscience" (ethics) for 5 Cs

C #6... Concern.  Management has to be as concerned for the welfare of the company, the people, and the data or the rest of it will fail.  It's similar to the task triangle where people say you can have it good, fast, or cheap... pick two.  My answer is always do it "good" and the fast and cheap will come along for the ride especially after the team (whatever it is) develops the habit of doing it "good".

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• C #7 Cafeteria. I don't mean just a room with chairs, tables, and a vending machine; that's a break room. I'm talking about a real cafeteria serving fresh hot meals and wifi connection so folks can get a quick lunch, take care of personal business, or meetup without leaving the building.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell - Tuesday, April 11, 2017 7:36 AM

C #7 Cafeteria. I don't mean just a room with chairs, tables, and a vending machine; that's a break room. I'm talking about a real cafeteria serving fresh hot meals and wifi connection so folks can get a quick lunch, take care of personal business, or meetup without leaving the building.

I've never worked anywhere that had a cafeteria. Some day that would be nice.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• C #8 Coffee...
    Indeed coffee (lack thereof) would be a dealbreaker for me!

• <sarcasm> C #8 Chip. Some employers are implanting their employees with tracking chips, which not only increases the employee's sense of safety and self worth but also let's them know they are a valued corporate asset. </sarcasm> :unsure:
    https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/can-your-boss-legally-force-you-to-implant-a-tracking-chip

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply