How do you know when it is time to leave a job?

• Alan.B (7/26/2016)

Rod at work (7/26/2016)

If, "The market is too starved for talent to be at a job you kinda like or don't like at all.", I don't see any evidence of it. What I see if people holding on for dear life, because there's no jobs out there.

Maybe I'm viewing the world from my big city bubble 😉 and I know it's not like that everywhere but if you're in Chicago (me), NY, LA, San Fran/Silicon Valley, DC, Houston, Seattle or a few other big cities I have not thought of - there's a talent gap. Especially for good SQL/BI folks, as well as people with cloud or big data skills. In Chicago I've seen many 6-figure DBA, SQL Developer and BI jobs remain open for many months, more than a year in some cases.

Albuquerque is 32nd largest US city - it's going to be tighter in your neck of the woods. Do a search for SQL jobs in Albuquerque then compare that to Chicago or even Phoenix. The job market is much better in the bigger cities.

but even small cities will see more opportunity in the coming years (recession or not).

That has got to be it, predominately. The few jobs that exist in the Albuquerque job market makes it like a feeding frenzy, just to get whatever pops up.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Eric M Russell (7/26/2016)

Rod at work (7/26/2016)

If, "The market is too starved for talent to be at a job you kinda like or don't like at all.", I don't see any evidence of it. What I see if people holding on for dear life, because there's no jobs out there.

The IT industry has cranked out a lot of workers with two-year technical diplomas, certifications, or just passing interest. There are a lot of warm bodies out there willing and (somewhat) able to do the job.

Agreed. There are lots and lots of people. There are very few good people.

One of my clients has been interviewing for months looking for a decent, mid-level DBA. Nothing. Oh, lots of people applying, lots of interviews being done, but no one meeting their requirements. They've shortlisted two junior DBAs who they think are trainable because they don't want to be interviewing for the rest of the year.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (7/27/2016)

Eric M Russell (7/26/2016)

Rod at work (7/26/2016)

The IT industry has cranked out a lot of workers with two-year technical diplomas, certifications, or just passing interest. There are a lot of warm bodies out there willing and (somewhat) able to do the job.

Agreed. There are lots and lots of people. There are very few good people.

One of my clients has been interviewing for months looking for a decent, mid-level DBA. Nothing. Oh, lots of people applying, lots of interviews being done, but no one meeting their requirements. They've shortlisted two junior DBAs who they think are trainable because they don't want to be interviewing for the rest of the year.

It can be especially difficult for an organization when the recruiting effort is too focussed on conformity and cultural fit rather than experience and talent relevent to the role. Of course there are some personality types that you flat don't want in your organization, and there are some jobs that require things like stringent security clearance or ability to interface and present well with clients, but some organizations simply wouldn't know talent when they see it. They don't know what to do with it when they get it, so they even lose what little they do get. I'm sure we've all been in a position where early on we discover we've made a wrong move careerwise and ask ourselves what we're doing there.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (7/27/2016)

It can be especially difficult for an organization when the recruiting effort is too focussed on conformity and cultural fit rather than experience and talent relevent to the role. Of course there are some personality types that you flat don't want in your organization, and there are some jobs that require things like stringent security clearance or ability to interface and present well with clients, but some organizations simply wouldn't know talent when they see it.

That's not the case here.

They're in the position of not having a DBA. The job's been done by developers for a long time, and they're well past the point where they need a dedicated DBA. Since they don't have any DBA they don't really want a junior, but they haven't been able to find anyone with intermediate/senior skill levels.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (7/27/2016)

Eric M Russell (7/27/2016)

It can be especially difficult for an organization when the recruiting effort is too focussed on conformity and cultural fit rather than experience and talent relevent to the role. Of course there are some personality types that you flat don't want in your organization, and there are some jobs that require things like stringent security clearance or ability to interface and present well with clients, but some organizations simply wouldn't know talent when they see it.

They're in the position of not having a DBA. The job's been done by developers for a long time, and they're well past the point where they need a dedicated DBA. Since they don't have any DBA they don't really want a junior, but they haven't been able to find anyone with intermediate/senior skill levels.

Need a dedicated DBA as in need someone to dedicate the time to it or need as in need the expertise right now? Companies not being willing to invest in their employees, or being unable to recognize potential talent vs current expertise, is part of why we're seeing an increasing lack of those high expertise people.

• A couple of years ago when we added a headcount for a senior SQL DBA we could not find ANYONE for over 6 months. Also, we had an open position for a senior Linux Server engineer and it took over a year to find a candidate.

• ZZartin (7/27/2016)

GilaMonster (7/27/2016)

Need a dedicated DBA as in need someone to dedicate the time to it or need as in need the expertise right now? Companies not being willing to invest in their employees, or being unable to recognize potential talent vs current expertise, is part of why we're seeing an increasing lack of those high expertise people.

Maybe those people don't *want* to do that particular job...

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• ZZartin (7/27/2016)

GilaMonster (7/27/2016)

Need a dedicated DBA as in need someone to dedicate the time to it or need as in need the expertise right now?

Both. The developers doing the job at the moment are getting too busy with their main job (developing and architecting the system) to devote enough time to the DBA work, and what they know about DBA work is what they've picked up over time (a lot of it from me, I've been working with these guys for ~3 years now), but DBA isn't their primary job and so the training they go for is for their main job (development/architecture), not in getting better at the DBA side

Gail Shaw

• I've never had trouble finding a new opportunity. My struggle is finding something that appeals to me. There are a lot of organizations out there that just don't get database design. They get infrastructure; SAN, networking, virtualization, scale out solutions, web services, 3rd party applications, DevOps, etc. But they don't get proper database modeling and SQL coding. They have 100s of IT professionals and hundreds of millions of dollars worth of infrastructure stacked on top of poorly designed databases. That's the Achilles' heel of their architecture, the root cause of all their performance and data quality problems, but they don't see it. They either bristle when someone points out obvious flaws in their legacy database, or on the opposite end of the spectrum they don't take it seriously.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Iwas Bornready (7/25/2016)

Yet Another DBA (7/22/2016)

Time to leave?

Hmm, with some companies its the day after I started.

That's sad you didn't know that before you started.

So how exactly do you leave after only a few days, after realising?

• HappyGeek (8/11/2016)

Iwas Bornready (7/25/2016)

Time to leave?

The best time to exit a ship is while it's still docked at the harbor. You'll obviously want to contact whatever other job offers or leads were in place when you accepted the current position. You can explain away your current bad move as a temporary gig.

• HappyGeek (8/11/2016)

Time to leave?

I had to do this once.

Gracefully but as quickly as possible. Then you can just exclude the company from your resume and not have to explain why you left after a few days or why there's this gap in your work history.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Alan.B (8/12/2016)

HappyGeek (8/11/2016)

Time to leave?

I had to do this once.

Gracefully but as quickly as possible. Then you can just exclude the company from your resume and not have to explain why you left after a few days or why there's this gap in your work history.

And exactly how do you do that gracefully when you joined after the former DBA left.......really would like to know, in second week now.........

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply