How do you split a field into muliple fields?

• You could find whoever wrote your proprietary system that you're no allowed to change and tell them to fix it? My suggestion to them would be to create a table that breaks them out into appropriate name columns and then create a view that puts them all back together so that they don't have to change much in the application code itself. This could even be something you could experiment with in your test/development environment.

Or...

Find a secretary that owes you a favor or two?

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• perrydwill (10/16/2008)

Oh crap. After looking at the table more closely the format isn't consistent. I have some that have their whole middle name instead of initial, some that have jr, some that have four whole names listed... No easy way around this is it?

I sort of thought that this would be the case, I have done enough of these to know that the format of free text data is very rarely consistent.

There is no magic bullet for these siutations , try and do the bulk of them with the script and deal with the others manualy.

Or you could export them to excel with quote identifiers in around the stings and keep them as free-text, this would solve the re-ordering problem

or this

Find a secretary that owes you a favor or two?

Hire some temps to come in for the day to go through and do them by hand.

• Oh well, I appreciate the lesson regardless. Cheers!

• Hello,

You could also use the parsename function.

It will allow you to parse full names into a max of 4 components.

Regards,

Terry

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply