How long to wait for rollback?

• Hypothetical. Really. Yeah. Really.

A hypothetical process that normally runs in 4 hours or less is killed after 5 hours. The spid has been in "killed/rollback" for more than 7 days. When checking the status, it shows 0% complete. Some want to wait to see if it will finish on its own. Call me cynical ;-), but I seriously doubt it will ever finish on its own. In my opinion, I am better off killing the spid and/or restarting the process. Yes, this might corrupt the table in process, but it's dead to us as is anyway while this process is live.

Is there any chance it could finish on its own after this long? Has anyone seen such an occurrence?

Thanks

Larry

• I doubt that you can kill it. You will probably have to restart SQL Server.

• Ya, can't rekill it.

Cycle the server will complete the rollback (if not done now). Of course the db won't be available at all during that time (which as a total shot in the dark, should be very short).

• My concern is the amount of time one should wait to decide it's not going to fix itself and take corrective action.

Thanks,

Larry

Formerly user CynicalDBA - I forgot my username had changed.

Larry

• You've been there for 6+ days.

I'd have queried the tasks wait to see if something was slowing the rollback down. You can still do it but I'm 99.999% sure you won't find anything.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply