How much minimum memory you recommend?

• If I want install SQL Server 2005 Enterprise edition 64 bit on Windows server 2003 Enterprise edition 64 bit, for an insurance company application, How much minimum memory you recommend?

what are the things I need to consider before deciding on this RAM requirement?

• I personally wouldn't start with anything less than 8Gb for a small implementation.

You need to factor in database size(s), usage, OLAP/OLTP and performance requirements as a starting point.

• I think 8GB might not be a min, 4, or even 2 could work. It depends on what load you'll experience. What are the database sizes you expect, the workload, it's highly dependent on how you use it. I could have a 1 TB db run in 4GB fine if I'm the only one querying it. That does depend on queries, and the more RAM, the better things tend to perform.

I could have a 50GB database struggle with 8GB under heavy loads from clients.

• My attitude is too many servers are procured with insufficient memory (and disks).

The 2Gb standard server specification to run the operating system/drivers/antivirus/SQL Server etc is insufficient in my opinion. You wouldn't spec your home PC with less than 2Gb these days, so I'm not sure why people spec servers that run corporate SQL Servers with such little memory to save a few hundred dollars. Most companies have a 3 or 4 year life cycle for servers and you have to cater for potential increases in growth/usage over that period.

Maybe 4Gb minimum then...1 or 2 Gb for the operating system and 2Gb for SQL Server.

• You may be right, and it is better to have more than less. Given the cost, it might make sense just to go with 8GB.

However I've had plenty of corporate servers running 2000/2005 that run fine on 2GB. The problem is that we have too many servers, putting up a new box for a small application that's lightly used. My point would be that a 2x2VM might work for an app, or it might not. You really have to know the load that will be placed on the server.

I'd also try to be sure this database/application can't be placed on an existing server.

• klnsuddu (7/24/2009)

If I want install SQL Server 2005 Enterprise edition 64 bit on Windows server 2003 Enterprise edition 64 bit, for an insurance company application, How much minimum memory you recommend?

what are the things I need to consider before deciding on this RAM requirement?

The fact that you have decided on 64-bit Enterprise suggests that you are expecting a significant workload.

Without knowing more about your requirements, I would suggest maybe starting with 16GB. The incremental memory cost will generally be small compared to total cost (including licencing costs).

Had you specified Standard Edition on 32-bit, I would probably have guessed at 2-8GB like the others.

I would be amazed if you have committed to 64-bit Enterprise without having some idea of the memory requirement - it is a shame you didn't include your thoughts or more information about the databases which will be hosted on the server, or even if it is to be dedicated to one or more SQL Server instances.

As always, the quality of replies has a direct correlation to the quality of the question 😛

Paul

• As always, the quality of replies has a direct correlation to the quality of the question

I agree with you. Thanks for your help.

• klnsuddu (7/26/2009)

As always, the quality of replies has a direct correlation to the quality of the question

I agree with you. Thanks for your help.

Don't forget to leave at least 1-2GB for Windows itself when you change the memory settings for SQL Server.

Gaby

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply