how much RAM(memory) used by sql server 2005

• Have I missed something here... your original post says

currently i have 8 GB ram and Intel Xeon server E5335 with @2GHZ @2 GHZ.

Yet later on you say

with 16 GB ram and 4 processors.

If you've got 8gb ram, then stick with Paul's suggestion for 6.5gb for SQL Server, but if you've got 16gb, then up that to about 14gb or you will be wasting that extra 8gb

• Well spotted Ian! I have also corrected my typo recommending 6.5GB on an 8MB server :laugh:

• sorry.......I have mistake.

actually i have two servers one have 8 GB and another one at 16 GB RAM.

so,please forgot...

• mjarsaniya (9/11/2009)

sorry.......I have mistake.

actually i have two servers one have 8 GB and another one at 16 GB RAM.

so,please forgot...

You can take Paul suggestion, which is a good one, for 8GB allocate 6GB. which is roughly about 75% of the total server memory. on a 16GB box, I would perhaps say 12GB rather than 14, but only because 12GB is about 75%.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• Silverfox (9/11/2009)

You can take Paul suggestion, which is a good one, for 8GB allocate 6GB. which is roughly about 75% of the total server memory. on a 16GB box, I would perhaps say 12GB rather than 14, but only because 12GB is about 75%.

Interesting... I usually work on the premise of leaving the OS about 2gb on systems (dedicated to SQL Server) with that amount of memory. Other than the 75% you mentioned, is there any other reasoning behind leaving the additional 2gb when the machine has 16gb?

• If you really want to appreciate some of the finer points of the max server memory setting, read this by Slava Oks.

Me? I start deliberately low and then increase it as I 'get to know' the server. I think aiming for the sort of free memory Slava lists once the machine reaches steady state is a good target. There will always be instance-specific reasons to vary, but they are good guidelines.

8 or 16GB really makes little difference - having between 1 and 2GB* of RAM free at maximum load would seem about right. RAM is relatively inexpensive, even for servers. If you need that extra 1 or 2GB, buy another 4GB or 8GB module - it's better than hitting the page file!

Paul

* closer to 1GB for the 8GB machine, and closer to 2GB for the 16GB machine.

• Another great read on these always confusing settings is from Vipul Shah's SQL Blogs

• Richard M (9/11/2009)

Another great read on these always confusing settings is from Vipul Shah's SQL Blogs

I just read it. Um. Trying to be positive here: ok - he meant well. 😛

Sorry dude, but that's muddled advice right there, and what isn't wrong, is dangerous. There is some correct information, but it's not brilliant overall.

In fairness, it's way too big a subject to try to summarize on one page of blog. I encourage everyone with an interest to read Slava's blog - it might take you six months, and another couple of years to really understand it, but that's better than just enabling /3GB and hoping for the best...

In the meantime, Linchi's post covers the main points that most people will be interested in. It also shows another reason why /3GB is a terrible idea in most cases.

If you think you need /3GB, you probably need 64-bit, or more memory and AWE.

• Paul White (9/11/2009)

I just read it. Um. Trying to be positive here: ok - he meant well. 😛

Sorry dude, but that's muddled advice right there, and what isn't wrong, is dangerous. There is some correct information, but it's not brilliant overall.

Did you also happen to read Chad Boyd's link, which is from where he summarized the info from?

I know this is not an easy to digest topic 🙂

• Silverfox I think you are wrong - 75% of memory = max server memory ? it may be good for servers with less then 8-12GB RAM, but for biggers boxes? i don't think so.

• Richard M (9/11/2009)

Did you also happen to read Chad Boyd's link, which is from where he summarized the info from?

Nope, but I have seen it before. That's good stuff - but the link you originally posted is not a good summary of it at all.

Richard M (9/11/2009)

I know this is not an easy to digest topic 🙂

Keep trying 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply