How often SQL Server required to be rebooted?

•  On What frequency, SQL Server Services required to be restarted?

What would be the impact if it is not stopped and started the services for a  long time say for a period of more than one year?

- S SIVAPRASAD

Sivaprasad S - [ SIVA ][/url]http://sivasql.blogspot.com/[/url]

• Sould restart only when installing new service packs. Or when they don't respond and you can't find the reason why.

• I had a Cow-Irker say Microsoft recommended a reboot every 30-45 days but I have never found documentation to support that.

I have had servers up for over 8 months with no issue, but I have also seen server funk happen that only a restart would cure.

• Back in the day when we were running SQL 6.5 on NT 4, it was considered best practice to reboot monthly due to memory leaks and other potential problems.  With Windows 2000 I don't believe this is the case any longer and installations can stay up for months or even years without issues.

That said, I myself usually don't like to go longer than 2 or 3 months without restarting my servers if I can help it.  We're not a complicated environment and I usually can get some after hours downtime particularly for installing security updates after which I'll always restart.  Hope this helps. 

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• Rarely. Usually only for patches. The SQL ServerCentral.com database has been rebooted once this year for a Windows patch application. Other than that, it's been up since September when we moved to a new location.

• We're only restarting servers monthly. And that's due to Windows security updates requiring reboots. Otherwise we've not had a need to restart Windows 2000/2003 servers running SQL Server.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• we only reboot when needed (upgrade) or when e.g. a plant's productionprocess is in maintenance, we take the change to check the server thoroughly, perform systems-maintenance and reboot.

Currently our longest running sqlserver runs almost one year. This server will get sp4 in august.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• I have been running my sql server for 4 years now. Only needed to reboot when there are security updates, or initially we had battery problems, but then tht was sorted out.

Now, we dont even reboot for 5-6 months at a stretch.... all is working fine (touch wood)

--Kishore

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply