How to add a DTS Package as one step to a job manually?

• When scheduling a DTS package, the command for the step is created as encrypt hex like:

DTSRun /~Z0xD4C42747D72208F35ADE9....

But If I want to add a step to a job manually, the wizard will ask for following setting:

Type: Operating System Command(CmdExec)

Process exis code of a successful command:0

Command:

How to set DTSRUN param for the command? should be like following?

DTSRun "DTS Package Name"

• DTSRun /S ServerName /E /N"PackageName"

see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa224467(SQL.80).aspx

• Thanks.

On SQL server 2008, I run the dts package Test in command line as below and succeeded.

dtsrun /S myServer\Myinstance /E /N Test

Then I create a job and set command as above for the step. and then run the job, it failed!

The error message is:

Executed as user: MyDomain\sqlservice. The process could not be created for step 1 of job 0xACCD42B421607047A3F07F1411A9DC1F (reason: The system cannot find the file specified). The step failed.

The message is confusing. The DTS is save in msdb and should not look for a file for it!

What's the reason and how to resolve it?

• The encrypted command needs to be changed because the package is in a new instance. See my reply to your post in the SQL Agent forum (http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic708454-110-1.aspx#bm709515) to see how to regenerate the encrypted command or use Homebrew's suggestion and format the command without encrypting it.

Greg

• So there two ways: one is plain text, one is encrypt:

dtsrun /S myServer\Myinstance /E /N Test

DTSRun /~Z0xB9A94C2AA29A29C9B....

I can run both of them in MS-DOS command line and success.

But if I put them for steps for job in command box and then run the job, it failed.

Same error message as:

Executed as user: myDomain\sqlservice. The process could not be created for step 1 of job 0x811094B3EEFE7F4C8BB0F0584FFD3A19 (reason: The system cannot find the file specified). The step failed.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply