How to assign sql parameter with many values returned from SQL statement

• Hi everybody,

I want to assign sql parameter called @myParam with many values returned from SQL statement like that:

declare @param text

set @param = select * from MyTable

but it give me error, how can i do that please

any reply will be appreciated

Thanks

• mos-prog (12/4/2011)

Hi everybody,

I want to assign sql parameter called @myParam with many values returned from SQL statement like that:

declare @param text

set @param = select * from MyTable

but it give me error, how can i do that please

any reply will be appreciated

Thanks

Let me make sure what you are asking, you want every column of every row returned in a single variable?

Why? What purpose does this serve?

• Thanks for your replay,

I want to send an Email from Database mail, and i want to get some data from Database to send it with email to the Users,

I want to assign @param with data to put it in @body variable that will send by Email like that:

@body = @param

I hope that be clear for you

thanks

• There are several methods to accomplish the same goal. If you lookup sp_send_dbmail in Books Online, you'll find a parameter for the sproc called "@Query". Here's a description of that from BOL...

[font="Arial Black"][ @query = ] 'query'[/font]

Is a query to execute. The results of the query can be attached as a file, or included in the body of the e-mail message. The query is of type nvarchar(max), and can contain any valid Transact-SQL. Note that the query is executed in a separate session, so local variables in the script calling sp_send_dbmail are not available to the query.

Check out sp_send_dbmail in Books Online for more details.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (12/4/2011)

There are several methods to accomplish the same goal. If you lookup sp_send_dbmail in Books Online, you'll find a parameter for the sproc called "@Query". Here's a description of that from BOL...

Is a query to execute. The results of the query can be attached as a file, or included in the body of the e-mail message. The query is of type nvarchar(max), and can contain any valid Transact-SQL. Note that the query is executed in a separate session, so local variables in the script calling sp_send_dbmail are not available to the query.

Check out sp_send_dbmail in Books Online for more details.

Thanks man,

but my problem with @quary is how to included it with the body of the e-mail message not be attached as a file

• Sorry, but i face one problem as it is my first time i deal with Database Mail,

when i try to send the Email it give me error with the sql statement in @quary,

it give me error that "Invalid object name 'DataBaseName.Users"

that is my try:

EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_send_dbmail

@profile_name = 'myProfile',

@recipients = 'myEmail@hotmail.com',

@subject = 'SQL Report',

@body_format = 'HTML',

@body = '.............',

@query = 'select [DataBaseName].[Users].[UserName] from [DataBaseName].[Users]',

@attach_query_result_as_file = 0

• mos-prog (12/4/2011)

Sorry, but i face one problem as it is my first time i deal with Database Mail,

that is my try:

@subject = 'SQL Report',

@body_format = 'HTML',

@body = '.............',

@query = 'select [DataBaseName].[Users].[UserName] from [DataBaseName].[Users]',

Try changing:

select [DataBaseName].[Users].[UserName] from [DataBaseName].[Users]

to

select [UserName] from [DataBaseName].[Users]

• mos-prog (12/4/2011)

Jeff Moden (12/4/2011)

There are several methods to accomplish the same goal. If you lookup sp_send_dbmail in Books Online, you'll find a parameter for the sproc called "@Query". Here's a description of that from BOL...

Is a query to execute. The results of the query can be attached as a file, [font="Arial Black"]or included in the body [/font]of the e-mail message. The query is of type nvarchar(max), and can contain any valid Transact-SQL. Note that the query is executed in a separate session, so local variables in the script calling sp_send_dbmail are not available to the query.

[font="Arial Black"]Check out sp_send_dbmail in Books Online for more details.[/font]

Thanks man,

but my problem with @quary is how to included it with the body of the e-mail message not be attached as a file

Gosh man, read Books Online on the subject of sp_send_dbmail. It'll tell you the other setting that needs to be made to do what you ask. 😉 You've gotta have some of the fun here. :w00t:

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Lynn Pettis (12/4/2011)

mos-prog (12/4/2011)

Sorry, but i face one problem as it is my first time i deal with Database Mail,

that is my try:

@subject = 'SQL Report',

@body_format = 'HTML',

@body = '.............',

Try changing:

select [DataBaseName].[Users].[UserName] from [DataBaseName].[Users]

to

select [UserName] from [DataBaseName].[Users]

I believe we need a schema name in that...

select [UserName] from [DataBaseName].[[font="Arial Black"]dbo[/font]].[Users]

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply