How to become a DBA

• Hi All,

I am a senior developer with .net and in my years of developing I have created table, triggers, stored procs, index fields.

Performance tuned stored procs.

I have done pretty much everything you should be able to do as a developer.

The only things I have not done is actually administration of a database (backup, replication ect..)

Becoming a DBA has always been something I have been interested in doing, but I have never been presented with an opportunity to go down that path.

I have even looked for entry level DBA jobs.

I am just looking for advice from the community on how to get my foot in the door towards a career as a DBA.

Working at my current company this is not an option to explore

I would have to find another company.

I have my MCSD in .net 20, but this has not helped me any as a developer.

Should I get my MCDBA cert. to get in with a company as a DBA.

Thanks for the advice,

KSS

• I suspect most companies right now aren't all that keen on hiring someone without either experience or a degree in the subject, simply because it's a buyer's market in hiring right now. You're probably competing against a fair number of more experienced people, so a cert might be a good idea just to give you that foot-in-the-door effect with HR.

One way to get some experience is volunteer work. Churches and charities often need IT work, and aren't as picky about who does it when it's unpaid. Looks good on a resume, too.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• The one thing about going up against more experienced people is that they tend to want to be paid more.. I'm sure you could find a jr position somewhere, but you may have to be willing to take a bit of a bite in the pay packet for it..

sounds like you've got a good start on it though.. i'd advise reading up on everything you can and perhaps getting a test machine with a sql install and practice practice practice!

--------------------------

I long for a job where my databases dont have any pesky users accessing them 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply