How to begin Performance Monitoring

• I need to start checking for performance in several Servers and store the result in xls. what are the main counters I need check in PROD,QA and UAT servers. And how can I analyze the results that something went wrong?

As this is my first job, I don't know where and how to start . Plz help me out.

• Look at the white-papers from Quest:

http://www.quest.com/documents/list.aspx?ContentTypeId=1

These will get you started and will give you a very good understanding of what you need to do.

• You usually want to start your performance monitoring at a high level using only the basic counters for monitoring CPU, Disk I/O, and Memory.  If you find out that either of these areas is causing a bottleneck, you can then add counters that will target the specific areas to help assist you in determining the root cause.  I usually will start using CPU - % processor time; Physical Disk - Avg. Disk Queue Length; Memory - Available MBytes; SQL Server Memory Manager -  Total Server Memory and Target Server Memory; SQL Server Buffer Manager - Buffer Cache Hit Ratio. 

Watching this set of counters will let you know if you need to focus more attention to any specific area. 

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply