How to Break a While ?????

• I have been taught not to use GOTO until and unless its extremely necessary. I am working on a project having 2400+ stored procedures and only 2 of them uses GOTO statements. I have been working with Visual Basic for the last 4 years and never used GOTO (and I know its present).

Best Regards.

• Hi Frank,

quote:

be careful with such statements!

There were times when I wished I'd meet the developer alone at night

Harsh tone in that quote.

Let me know which dark alleys, and I certainly keep well away.

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Hi David,

quote:

Harsh tone in that quote.

Let me know which dark alleys, and I certainly keep well away.

you don't have to be afraid of me

If you have followed yesterdays' threads, you'll know that yesterday was one of those days I now call SNAFU days (now, that I know what it means )

But debugging someone else's code isn't easy, is it?

I think that must be that QBASIC days, my father-in-law was programming. I saw once one of his listings, and tried really hard to be kind in comments when seeing GOTO 10, GOTO 80, GOTO Hell

Cheers,

Frank

Edited by - a5xo3z1 on 08/01/2003 07:46:37 AM

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
    My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/[/url]

• Yep your right Frank expecially when that someone reiterates multiple nested subs and functions 10 to 20 times. I keep my procs as small and compact as possible and only nest procs 1 deep (never recursive).

quote:

QBASIC

Hey still use it from time to time, mainly for fun though. My favourite was GOTterdammerung with a particular compiler that used the first 3 chars of commands when compiling.

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Ah, an old fashioned discussion on GOTO. Those were the days...punch cards and reels and hard drives the size of my desk.

Quick, raise your hands if you know what an MFN drive is.

Seriously, any coding construct can create hard to read code. Let's nest some triggers, add a couple of recursive loops, and use i, j, k as a variable names. Party down.

Bonne chance

Dr. Peter Venkman: Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

Patrick

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply