How to Build Inventory Server

• Hi All,

Currently we are planning to build SQL Server Inventory server in our environment with all relevant information. Could you help and suggest how to proceed on this ?

• You can designate one of your servers as a Central Management Server.

It stores only the server registration, so nothing more than a server name. If you want to store more information about your servers (purpose, configurations etc...) I would suggest to use a spreadsheet or a custom application.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• also, if you run the Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit, instead of letting it create a default (localdb)\maptoolkit, you could have it create databases in your CMS server; it create it's thousands of objects in the server of your choice, accross a couple of databases or so, and you can easily query a TON of information:

there is an amazing amount of infpormation it gathers.

select * from SqlServer_Assessment.SqlInstances WHERE SQLServiceType = 1 --SQL

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Using this Toolkit can we monitor and maintain multiple servers.

• New persopn (1/11/2016)

Using this Toolkit can we monitor and maintain multiple servers.

it literally scans the entire network for all types of devices; it just happens to have a checkbox for doing SQL server also.

In my environment, for example, it found 1008 "machines", which i think includes routers and the like...anything with an IP address.

it can be drilled down to desktops vs servers.

of those two sets that, there were 109 SQL server instances, over 60 machines, and when i dig into the exported details(or query the database directly), i see the expected number of real servers vs Developer instances on desktops.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• If we have multiple networks how it will capture. In our environment we have multiple domains and networks.

• New persopn (1/11/2016)

If we have multiple networks how it will capture. In our environment we have multiple domains and networks.

it is an extremely robust solution. it has half a dozen ways to scan; I use Active directory, first, so i can enumerate all the objects from that, and you can enter up to effectively unlimited number ip address ranges, if you want to scan various ranges for objects. it's got an amazing suite of goodies.

I'd say just install it locally, and run it, which took maybe fifteen minutes to deeply inventory my network, and review the results.

Lowell

• Thanks for your valuable information and suggestions. We will try to implement and let you know if any queries.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply