How to call the CTE in a Stored proc

• I have three CTE's written, I want to insert them in a Stored Proc. But while trying that I am getting error

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

-- =============================================

-- Author:

-- Create date: 12-03-2012

-- Description: To detect Dependencies infinite loop.

-- =============================================

CREATE PROCEDURE [ods].[spw_DependenciesInfiniteLoop_alert]

-- Add the parameters for the stored procedure here

/*<@Param1, sysname, @p1> <Datatype_For_Param1, , int> = <Default_Value_For_Param1, , 0>,

<@Param2, sysname, @p2> <Datatype_For_Param2, , int> = <Default_Value_For_Param2, , 0> */

AS

BEGIN

SET NOCOUNT ON;

;with tmp(Source_ID, DependsOn, DependingSources) as

(select CAST(Source_ID AS INT),

CAST(LEFT(DependingSources, CHARINDEX(',',DependingSources+',')-1) AS NVARCHAR(50)),

CAST(STUFF(DependingSources, 1, CHARINDEX(',',DependingSources+','), '')AS NVARCHAR(50))

from TEC.moris_source_id_India WHERE Active=1 AND DependingSources<>''

union all

select CAST(Source_ID AS INT),

CAST(LEFT(DependingSources, CHARINDEX(',',DependingSources+',')-1)AS NVARCHAR(50)),

CAST(STUFF(DependingSources, 1, CHARINDEX(',',DependingSources+','), '') AS NVARCHAR(50))

from tmp where DependingSources > '')

Select Source_ID, DependsOn INTO #Temp from tmp order by Source_ID

Error is :

Incorrect syntax near 'Source_ID'.

How to call CTE 's in a SP. Is this possible. What should be the approach? thanks.....

• Nothing to do with the CTE - you've got a BEGIN with no END

• Thanks, but the error was different - It had multiple GO and removed the GO commands. Its working now........

• shyamhr (3/12/2012)

Thanks, but the error was different - It had multiple GO and removed the GO commands. Its working now........

"GO" is not a T-SQL command, it's a batch terminator for SQL batch processors (eg. SSMS and sqlcmd, osql etc.). You can not use "GO" inside of body of any SQL server programming objects (stored procs or udf's)

How to post your question to get the best and quick help[/url]

• Also take the ; before the WITH out. ; is a statement terminator, you don't start statements with a symbol that marks the end of a statement (just like you don't start sentences with a .)

CREATE PROCEDURE [ods].[spw_DependenciesInfiniteLoop_alert]

AS

BEGIN

SET NOCOUNT ON;

WITH tmp(Source_ID, DependsOn, DependingSources) as

(select CAST(Source_ID AS INT),

CAST(LEFT(DependingSources, CHARINDEX(',',DependingSources+',')-1) AS NVARCHAR(50)),

CAST(STUFF(DependingSources, 1, CHARINDEX(',',DependingSources+','), '')AS NVARCHAR(50))

from TEC.moris_source_id_India WHERE Active=1 AND DependingSources<>''

union all

select CAST(Source_ID AS INT),

CAST(LEFT(DependingSources, CHARINDEX(',',DependingSources+',')-1)AS NVARCHAR(50)),

CAST(STUFF(DependingSources, 1, CHARINDEX(',',DependingSources+','), '') AS NVARCHAR(50))

from tmp where DependingSources > '')

Select Source_ID, DependsOn INTO #Temp from tmp order by Source_ID;

END

GO

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (3/12/2012)

Also take the ; before the WITH out. ; is a statement terminator, you don't start statements with a symbol that marks the end of a statement (just like you don't start sentences with a .)

I would say that it used to be a sort of personal preference...

I wouldn't usually use a statement terminator in T-SQL except exactly cases when I use CTE, so I have a habit to place it at front of WITH which is about to be a single case where it was absolutely required so far ...

Actually, if you use CTE in a VIEW, you don't use the statement terminator before WITH.

However, Gail is right, looks like MS wants T-SQL developers to build a habit of using statement terminators (before it might/will make them mandatory). Therefore, from now on I will start to put ";" at the end of statements where it belongs to, and not at front of WITH 😉

• Eugene Elutin (3/12/2012)

Actually, if you use CTE in a VIEW, you don't use the statement terminator before WITH.

A view is a single statement, hence there can't be a previous statement that requires terminating. A ; in front of the with indicates a previous statement and hence throws an error

CREATE VIEW Testing AS

;WITH test AS (SELECT NAME FROM sys.objects)

SELECT NAME FROM test

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Yes Gail! You are absolutely right, that's why no terminator before WITH in a view...

It was a discussion recently here about when and where to use statement terminators. Actually, I've found another case where WITH (for CTE) does not require the previous statement to end with a statement terminator.

Basically, if BEGIN control-of-flow keyword is used just before WITH, it works with or without statement terminator...

• Thanks Gila. Done that all ready ....

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply