How to categorize patient encounters based on procedures done.

• Hi all,

I have a table that holds patient encounters in it, and another table that holds all of the patient procedures that were done (each encounter can have one or more procedures). I need to write a query that will assign a category to each encounter based on what procedures (if any) were done. I'm looking for a recommendation on a general approach that's going to be optimal for about 3.5 million encounters.

-- Sample Encounter Table Data

SELECT 1 AS EncID UNION ALL

SELECT 2 AS EncID UNION ALL

SELECT 3 AS EncID UNION ALL

SELECT 4 AS EncID

-- Sample Procedure Table Data

SELECT 1 AS EncID, 'OB212' AS ProcID UNION ALL

SELECT 1 AS EncID, '81002' AS ProcID UNION ALL

SELECT 3 AS EncID, 'D0120' AS ProcID UNION ALL

SELECT 3 AS EncID, 'D0272' AS ProcID UNION ALL

SELECT 4 AS EncID, '99212' AS ProcID UNION ALL

SELECT 4 AS EncID, '36415' AS ProcID

-- 81002, D0272, and 36415 are incidental and would not

-- factor into determining the category

--Sample Results that I'm hoping for

SELECT 1 AS EncID, 'OB Visit' AS 'Category' UNION ALL

SELECT 2 AS EncID, 'Other' AS 'Category' UNION ALL

SELECT 3 AS EncID, 'Dental Visit' AS 'Category' UNION ALL

SELECT 4 AS EncID, 'Medical Visit' AS 'Category'

I know I could do this with a cursor, but I keep reading about how evil they are 🙂 I've also thought I could probably write a stored procedure or a function that accepts the EncID and returns a category based on what procedures it finds. I'd also be open to using SSIS to do a cursor type operation on this beast. I'm really just wondering what would be considered a best practice for this type of situation.

• ajenawsu (9/19/2011)

Hi all,

I have a table that holds patient encounters in it, and another table that holds all of the patient procedures that were done (each encounter can have one or more procedures). I need to write a query that will assign a category to each encounter based on what procedures (if any) were done. I'm looking for a recommendation on a general approach that's going to be optimal for about 3.5 million encounters.

I'm really just wondering what would be considered a best practice for this type of situation.

Why don't you just have your procedures table store a ProcedureCategoryID which will associate it to your text category in your 'ProcedureCategory'?

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Altering the design of the procedures table isn't an option here since it is a 3rd party application. I also don't want duplicate rows in my results, i.e. even though an encounter might have two procedures it can only have one category.

By the way, I am using SQL 2008 R2. Not sure how I accidentally posted this in the SQL 7, 2000 forum! :ermm:

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply