How to centralize your SQL Server Event Logs.

• Whoa! Very cool, Geoff. I've not done a deep dive on the code, yet, but I read the article. Very nicely done.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Geoff, thank you for sharing this information.

i followed the given instructions as well as considered workarounds in case of error.

all seems fine but i keep getting this vbscript error

cannot open database "'DBA"' requested by login - the login failed

code:80004005

source microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server

(running sql2005 enterprise edition - logon mixed mode...)

any suggestions are welcome

ppcp

• Hi cppp,

whatever account is running the VB Script will require access to your database DBA.

So, if you followed the instructions, that means your SQL Server agent account is running the code.

• Hi Geoff,

thanks for your fast reply. In that case i must have overlooked something..

i will give it another try

cppp

• Your procedure is fantastic...! I congratulate you

• It worked fine in my SQL Server 2005 machine but I received the following error on my SQL Server 2008 machine.

Executed as user: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE. Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.6 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1996-2001. All rights reserved.E:\Monitor\EventLog2DB.vbs(15, 1) SWbemServicesEx: Access denied. Process Exit Code 0. The step succeeded.

Anybody any idea!?

• Did you ever write the article about the triggers and store procrdures because I don't find it anywhere?

• guillermob (11/4/2011)

Did you ever write the article about the triggers and store procrdures because I don't find it anywhere?

Ditto.

I'd love to see what other tricks Geoff has up his sleeve.

• i know, in know.... i will eventually get to it. i promise. should be pretty simple since this is still the method i use for my alerting... thanks for the interest.

• Geoff A (4/2/2012)

i know, in know.... i will eventually get to it. i promise. should be pretty simple since this is still the method i use for my alerting... thanks for the interest.

That's great news!

And thank you for such a detailed and useful article. You really saved me a lot of time and frustration.

I look forward to the next installment.

• great article....geoff i want IIS log events in this database...how can i do that???

thanks in anticipation

• With IIS 7.0' , it's super easy because you can choose a data sources to do this. It's a setting you have to install, but it's very straight forward.

With IIS 6.0 or lower, it's another article.

• thank you for the prompt response...we have IIS 7.5....can you point me in the right direction what steps should i take to get IIS logs into our DBA database???

thanks in anticipation

• help..!!!!

• will logparser work?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply