how to change the installation to another drive

• Hi friends,

I have alredy installed sqlserver in 'c' drive but i want to change the 'd' drive. is it possible or not pls suggest me.

Thank you

• Uninstall and reinstall it is the advice i'd give you

Edit: also plan your installation a little better than just clicking setup.exe and selecting the defaults if this is going to be a production system, there's some good best practice articals about spend some time on google before you start.

• k.subramanyam1017 (6/12/2012)

Hi friends,

I have alredy installed sqlserver in 'c' drive but i want to change the 'd' drive. is it possible or not pls suggest me.

Thank you

Are you wanting to move just the data files?

If so, this can be accomplished easily

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• k.subramanyam1017 (6/12/2012)

Hi friends,

Thank you

Are you talking about the application or just the data files ?

If you have not put live your production tables just yet - then uninstall and reinstall with the correct drives/paths that are required. A planning/preperation guide would be useful - so that you can check off what you are doing/done.

If its just the databases that you want to move then that is also an easy answer - just need to know more about your situation.

________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Regards
    Steve
    SQL 2008 DBA/DBD - MCTS/MCITP

Please don't trust me, test the solutions I give you before using them.

• If you can uninstall/reinstall. If not...

• The SQL Server install will always put upwards of 3GB on to the system drive. Most of this goes into the GAC, which must always exist on the system drive.

You can specify an alternate drive for some of the program files, but not much more than 500MB will get placed there.

If you are installing a cluster, then for the first node you can split the program locations as above, but when adding additional nodes everything will be put on the system drive. IMHO fo a cluster it is best to put all the program files on the system drive for the first node, so that all nodes are set up in the same way.

The database files can always be put on other drives, and you should plan to put .mdf and .ldf files on separate drives.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply