How to clean the StackDump log file SQL00001.dmp under mssql7/log folder ?

• In my SQL Server 7 SP4, I found a huge log file SQL00001.dmp around 2GB. How can I safely remove it as it is more than 6 months old ?

Can I just simply remove it or need to shutdown SQL Server first before removal ? Thanks.

Any detailed instructions are appreciated.

• cytodex:

I believe that this SQL00001.dmp file is a backup of a database.  Check your jobs and see if there is a generic job that will backup a database to that location.  It probably is appending to rather than overwriting that file.  If you delete it, your backups will be gone (unless it gets backed up to tape later).

Check out all of your maintenance before deleting.  (If possible, move it to a new location for about a week or two prior to deleting - you just never know)

• This is a duplicate post.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=5&messageid=116423

-SQLBill

• anyone got any results from deleting the dmp files? I've got a laptop running mysql 8 and it has 2 dmp files of about 4 GB each. I've moved them to another folder and the applications seem to keep running fine. But can i delete them safely?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply