How to compare results from two queries?

• Hi folks,

I have two queries to get results from two different data source, there are lots of discrepancies between them, the query would be:

select code, [name], [Description], o.descriptionshort as Dept, m.firstname as OwnerFirstName, m.lastname as OwnerLastName

from table0 i

inner join table1 m on m.orgunitid = i.orgunitid

inner join table2 o on o.orgunitid = m.orgunitid

order by code

and

SELECT Distinct AppCode As Code, AppName As [Name], [Description], ClientOwner_Department as Dept, ClientOwner_firstname as OwnerFirstName, ClientOwner_lastname as OwnerLastName

FROM table3

Where AppCode is not NULL

The two results have lots of records with the same "Code" and "Name", however, other fields might be same, might be different, there are also records showing up only in only one query result.

ideally I want to have a single query that will return:

1. Rownumber

2. Code

3. Name

4. Description in first data source

5. Description in second data source

6. Dept in first data source

7. Dept in second data source

8. OwnerLastName in first data source

9. OwnerLastName in second data source

10. OwnerFirstName in first data source

11. OwnerFirstName in second data source

If there are any records in only one data source, I still want it be repeated but show something like "Missing" in the other data source.

I was trying to see if there is such function in Red Gate, it does provide data comparison but unfortunately not for customized query.

Thanks for your help.

• Is the join between the two result sets on CODE and NAME?

• Do a "Full Outer Join" between the two, on Name and Code, with whatever rules you need for other columns.

Something like:

SELECT *,

CASE WHEN Q1.NAME IS NULL THEN 'Q1 Missing'

WHEN Q2.NAME IS NULL THEN 'Q2 Missing'

WHEN CHECKSUM(Q1.DESCRIPTION, Q1.Dept, Q1.OwnerFirstName, Q1.OwnerLastName) != CHECKSUM(Q2.DESCRIPTION,

Q2.Dept,

Q2.OwnerFirstName,

Q2.OwnerLastName)

THEN 'Different'

ELSE 'Matched'

END AS [Comparison]

FROM (SELECT code,

[name],

[Description],

o.descriptionshort AS Dept,

m.firstname AS OwnerFirstName,

m.lastname AS OwnerLastName

FROM table1 i

INNER JOIN table2 m

ON m.orgunitid = i.orgunitid

INNER JOIN table3 o

ON o.orgunitid = m.orgunitid) AS Q1

FULL OUTER JOIN (SELECT DISTINCT

AppCode AS Code,

AppName AS [Name],

[Description],

ClientOwner_Department AS Dept,

ClientOwner_firstname AS OwnerFirstName,

ClientOwner_lastname AS OwnerLastName

FROM table4

WHERE AppCode IS NOT NULL) AS Q2

ON Q1.NAME = Q2.Name

AND Q1.Code = Q2.Code

ORDER BY ISNULL(Q1.code, Q2.code),

ISNULL(Q1.NAME, Q2.Name) ;

Edit: Table names modified as per request.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Thanks.

Why adding ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY Q1.Code ASC) AS 'Row Number' gives me Row Number starting 900 and not in order?

• If the query results are from two different data sources and you cannot do a JOIN, this tool will show you all the differences quite easily:

http://nobhillsoft.com/columbo.aspx

• halifaxdal (3/16/2012)

Thanks.

Why adding ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY Q1.Code ASC) AS 'Row Number' gives me Row Number starting 900 and not in order?

because there is no default order. SQL built the row number as required, but of course there's no obligation by SQl to return them in any order unless you tell it so.

if you add ORDER BY 'Row Number' , you'll get them in the order expeded

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks to all replies, much appreciated.

• I am sorry this post should not be closed yet, after some data verification, it turns out the query might need some amendment:

In MANY records showing "Table 1 is missing", actually they do exist! and so as "Table 2 missing"

• halifaxdal (3/20/2012)

I am sorry this post should not be closed yet, after some data verification, it turns out the query might need some amendment:

In MANY records showing "Table 1 is missing", actually they do exist! and so as "Table 2 missing"

That just means you need to correct the join between the queries/tables. Nobody here has your tables, nor the data in them, so it's going to be impossible for any of us to correct that. Fix the join definitions, and you'll get what you need.

Or provide table definitions (Create Table scripts), and sample data (Insert statements) that we can run in test databases, and then we can help more.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply