How to copy a Column of GUID's from one table to another?

• I would like to copy a column of GUID's from one table to another.

The code below works but only uses the first GUID.

set rowcount 100;

UPDATE Designation

SET ProfileId = Profiles.Id

FROM Designation, Profiles

Profiles Table has

GUID

and other non related fields

Designation Table

needs the GUID from the Profiles table

and has other non related fields.

I would like the 100 Unique GUID'S from the Profile table to be in the Designation table, so there may be a point of common reference.

I am guessing i need some type of loop with a counter, but i'm not sure how to do this, in this situation.

Thanks

• You need to join on something.

Right now you are doing a cross join and basically putting a random guid in the update.

What's commun in both tables you can join on?

• I would expect something in the like of this:

UPDATE D

SET ProfileId = P.Id

FROM Designation D

INNER JOIN Profiles P ON P.Code = D.Codeand I guess is that you need to make the ProfileId in the Designation table a varchar.

Ronald HensbergenHelp us, help yourself... Post data so we can read and use it: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/-------------------------------------------------------------------------2+2=5 for significant large values of 2

• The common field is the Id.

I am trying to create a new table with data from another database, and add the Id into the new table.

• Then insert both columns, or join on the name. Assuming they actually match.

• I did an insert into, but it adds the data to the end of the existing data, which is why i need to do an sql update, not a sql insert into.

• Why not do a delete first?

• You have given me some ideas, let me try a different method.

Thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply