How to Create ER Diagrams for tables in a Non-relational Database

• Hi,

Could you someone guide me on how to create ER Diagrams for tables in a Non-relational Database on Sql server.

I have tables with no relationship between tables and my requirement to have a ER Diagrams created for them. Could someone help me with this.

• So your database on SQL Server is none relational?

Or do you have a NoSQL databases on another platform and you want to make a diagram in SQL server?

If you have tables in SQL server you can create a diagram, but as you have no foreign keys between them, they will just be placed anywhere with no links between them, unless you go and define the relationships.

If you want to diagram an external database then you need to use an external tool or if your external engine has a diagram capability like SQL does use that.

If you know the relationships but cant create the FK's due to some reason, your into external tooling so you can draw the relationships into the diagram.

• Yes My Tables in sql server doesn't have keys defined and i need help in getting the Er diagrams created for the tables in the sql server, are there any steps through which i can get them created through the Microsoft Sql server management studio 17.

If so could you please help me out with the steps.

• With no relationships your diagram will just be a heap of tables.

Go into the database in SSMS and expand the diagrams option, and add in the tables you want to add to the diagram.

• Are you saying that the tables have no logical connection to each other or that they do but the keys are not present? If it's the first then do as Ant-Green suggests, if not then you need to explain what the tables contain, preferably by posting create table scripts: https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/forum-etiquette-how-to-post-datacode-on-a-forum-to-get-the-best-help

• Well if the tables have no relationships the ER diagram is really simple, it's just a bunch of boxes with the table names in them 🙂

• Ravi77, you may bi in bigger trouble than it seems.

In any case, you need to figure out what makes each table unique, does not have to be just one column. Then you look at table names and try to figure out the meaning. If a table name is 'Customers' it should be clear what it contains. 'CustomerOrders' should be understandable as well. Then you conclude that a Customer may have many Orders. And so on, until you have idea what depends on what and which unique columns are repeated in some tables.

If tables are named like 'YYZ_105' or 'QWERTY_0001_X' then you are out of luck. The only hope is to find person who created tables.

Actally, trying to find who created the database nd tables is the best option.

Cheers

Zidar

Zidar's Theorem: The best code is no code at all...

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply