How to create new instance in sql server 2005

• I have a similar problem installing a new instance. This is on a Windows 2003 64 bit server with an existing SQL Server 2005 SP3 Standard 64 bit installation. I run the SQL Server 2005 installer, but I don't get the option to add a named instance - just the ability to add client tools (which are already there). I haven't added a second instance for many years (the last time was with SS 2000) - has something changed?

• Doug

Could you confirm you see the following?

➡ splash screen appears when disk autoruns

➡ click install server components and wizard starts

➡ accept EULA and click next

➡ install pre reqs click next

➡ at welcome screen click next

➡ at system config check click next

➡ enter name and company click next

➡ select sql server database services to install and click next

➡ the next screen is where you provide named or default instance

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• The install routine (run on 2 different SS2005 servers) loads Prerequisites, then it does the System Config check, then SQL Server Installation Wizard screen, then the System Configuration Check screen (only ASP error - not needed for this installation), then Preparing Installation Wizard, then I get the user info screen - but it only has the name and company boxes - no Product Key area. Then it goes into a Feature Selection screen, where I only have Client Tools and Documentation options.

I just tried a different SQL Server 2005 disk set (32 bit Std). The Registration Information screen shows the product key info as well as user and company fields. The next screen is the Componets To Install that allows the Server componets to be selected. So this one would apparantly work. I may have a bad 64 bit set of disks. I am waiting to hear back from the network folks to see if they have another set of the 64 bit disks.

• You may have a set of disks built for ghosted workstations. I.E., someone built the disks specifically for client tools only.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I've got the network guys downloading a clean copy form MS Licensing now so I'll try that in a bit and see how that goes.

• as Brandie states you probably have the client tools install disk only. The CD format has 2 disks and the second disk has client tool install only. The DVD image contains all sets on 1 disk.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Looks like it was the disk issue - the new disk set work. However, I am now getting an error on my production server (the test server installed a new instance perfectly) during the install when it is Updating System Databases. The error I get (repeatable) is: "SQL Server Setup could not connect to the database service for server configuration. The error was: [Microsoft][SQL Native Client]SQL Network Interfaces: Error Locating Server/Instance Specified [xFFFFFFFF]...."

Any ideas on why that is happenning here? Looking on the net so far I see mostly answers related to remoting intot he server, nothing related to adding a new instance of SQL. Thanks.

• Is there a difference between the service accounts used for the other instances and this one?

If so, are you sure the accounts have the necessary permissions for installation?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Using Local System Account for both the default and the new named instances.

• Are all the services started without error?

• SQL Server service started, SQL Server Agent will not. When I try to start ehd Agent is says the service started and then stopped.

• That right there might be the problem. I don't know if SQL Agent is actually needed for the install, though.

• what info is there in the Windows event logs?

• Hi All

It is easy to add new instances,install the sql setup again while installing you will get options as Default Instance or Named Instance. you choose Named Instance and give the Instance name and install the set up.Surely u will get another Instance .

• hi all

I have also the same problem with him. i installed sql server 2005 compact and sql manager the problem is i can't change or register new instance and i'm having problem in connecting to my database through my program. please point me into the right directions thank you

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply