How to Daily AlerT Disk Space and free space in my system

• hey,

i am trying to create a new job daily for mailing all my disk spaces and free spaces to outllok.so i dont know how to create and where to create

eg:i want to get the mail like below format

MySystemName DiskDrive Total Space Free Space

XXXX C: 10GB 4GB

YYYY D: 20 GB 16GB

CAN ANY ONE HELP ME

• You will need to perform the following:

1. Create a Database Mail Profile(Not applicable in SQL Server 2005 Express Edition). The steps for doing it can be obtained on the below link:

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1100

2. Create a stored procedure which contains the required logic to compute the free space as well as used space for a particular disk. You can use xp_fixeddrives to accomplish this task.

Satnam

• Once the logic is designed then u will need to create a job which will execute the required stored procedure to send the email. The schedule of the job depends upon your requirements.

Satnam

• Hi Singh,

Thanks for the reply.i knew the database mail profile.but i want the logic of code.

i knew the job also.already i wrote code for this but this code will not executing the required output.

• Can u let me know the code?

Satnam

• CREATE PROCEDURE usp_MyDiskFreeSpace

@DriveCBenchmark int = 1024,

@OtherDataDriveBenchmark int = 2048

AS

IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM tempdb..sysobjects WHERE id = object_id(N'[tempdb]..[#disk_free_space]'))

DROP TABLE #disk_free_space

CREATE TABLE #diskfreespace

(

DriveLetter CHAR(1) NOT NULL,

FreeMB INTEGER NOT NULL)

DECLARE @DiskFreeSpace INT

DECLARE @DriveLetter CHAR(1)

DECLARE @AlertMessage VARCHAR(500)

DECLARE @MailSubject VARCHAR(100)

INSERT INTO #disk_free_space

EXEC master..xp_fixeddrives

SELECT @DiskFreeSpace = FreeMB FROM #disk_free_space where DriveLetter = 'C'

IF @DiskFreeSpace < @DriveCBenchmark

Begin

SET @MailSubject = 'Drive C free space is low on ' + @@SERVERNAME

SET @AlertMessage = 'Drive C on ' + @@SERVERNAME + ' has only ' + CAST(@DiskFreeSpace AS VARCHAR) + ' MB left. Please free up space on this drive. C drive usually has OS installed on it. Lower space on C could slow down performance of the server'

-- Send out email

EXEC master..xp_sendmail @recipients = 'MyEmail@MyCompany.com',

@subject = @MailSubject,

@message = @AlertMessage

End

DECLARE DriveSpace CURSOR FAST_FORWARD FOR

select DriveLetter, FreeMB from #diskfreespace where DriveLetter not in ('C')

open DriveSpace

fetch next from DriveSpace into @DriveLetter, @DiskFreeSpace

WHILE (@@FETCH_STATUS = 0)

Begin

if @DiskFreeSpace < @OtherDataDriveBenchmark

Begin

set @MailSubject = 'Drive ' + @DriveLetter + ' free space is low on ' + @@SERVERNAME

set @AlertMessage = @DriveLetter + ' has only ' + cast(@DiskFreeSpace as varchar) + ' MB left. Please increase free space for this drive immediately to avoid production issues'

-- Send out email

EXEC master..xp_sendmail @recipients = 'xxxxx',

@subject = @MailSubject,

@message = @AlertMessage

End

fetch next from DriveSpace into @DriveLetter, @DiskFreeSpace

End

close DriveSpace

deallocate DriveSpace

DROP TABLE #diskfreespace

GO

• Also, can u let me know the error message and how many disks are there on the server for which u need such alerts?

Satnam

• the problem is yet to be not solved

• I have developed a similar sort of script around few weeks back. I wrote it using HTML along with SQL. If u can hold on for some time then i shall be able to send u those scripts.

Cheers,

Satnam

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply