How to determine whether string is a number?

• I need to determine whether the string '4d4' is number or not. But it appears that the ISNUMERIC function is not always accurate as shown below:

SELECT ISNUMERIC(SUBSTRING('4D4',1,3));

It should evaluate to 0 but it returns 1! You can try for yourself.

Basically, I need a way to determine that '4D4' is not a number. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Billy

Edited by - bp on 10/10/2003 7:04:09 PM

Edited by - bp on 10/10/2003 7:04:22 PM

• SQL Server is able to evaluate that as a number, as it can use 4D4 (synonym, for some reason, of 4E4, AKA 4E+4 or 4*10^4) as a number. Try this:

SELECT ISNUMERIC('4D4'), CAST('4D4' AS float)

As you're apparently wanting to test a substring of known length, you could try something like this:

SELECT CASE WHEN SUBSTRING('4D4',1,3) LIKE '[0-9][0-9][0-9]' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END

Perhaps some of our non-US members know why '4d4' should evaluate to 4000.

--Jonathan

--Jonathan

• Thanks Jonathan.

I actually never thought that 4d4 would evaluate to a number. For me, '4d4' evaluates to only 4. Totally bizarre. I wonder if it is a bug or hidden feature?

My intention is to use a function that will determine whether a list of values I obtain from varchar column (don't ask why a number is stored in varchar field) is in numeric format because I need to append that number into another table where the column is numeric format. If I don't filter out for the non-numbers, then the sql statement will crash. The string is unknown length so I am still stuck on this one.

Any more ideas?

• quote:

Thanks Jonathan.

I actually never thought that 4d4 would evaluate to a number. For me, '4d4' evaluates to only 4. Totally bizarre. I wonder if it is a bug or hidden feature?

My intention is to use a function that will determine whether a list of values I obtain from varchar column (don't ask why a number is stored in varchar field) is in numeric format because I need to append that number into another table where the column is numeric format. If I don't filter out for the non-numbers, then the sql statement will crash. The string is unknown length so I am still stuck on this one.

Any more ideas?

CASE WHEN vcCol LIKE '%[^0-9]%' THEN 0 ELSE 1 END

--Jonathan

--Jonathan

• very nice, thanks!

Billy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply