How To Enable Replication

• I am taking a class and it requires me to enable replication. I have installed the SQL Sever with the default settings. Now I am suppose to enable replication by using the "Configure publishing, Subscribers, and Distribution" selection from the toosl>replication menu. When I go into tools and replication the options are all grayed out. How can I enable replication with this installed server. I appreciate any help you can give me.

Many Thanks

Morgan

• You need to be connected to the server you wish to enable replication on, and have selected that server (or a sub-component of it) in the tree.

Jay Madren

• In the Enterprise Manager, you need to right-click on the server-->Properties-->Replication Tab-->Configure. Then you can set up replication in the server. The easiest thing to do is set the server up as the Publisher AND the Distributor both.

-Dan

-Dan

• You can also accomplish this from Query Analyser with something like:

use master
    GO

exec sp_adddistributor @distributor = @@servername, @password = N'your_password'
    GO

- Adding the distribution database
    exec sp_adddistributiondb @database = N'distribution', @data_folder = N'c:\MSSQL\Data', @data_file = N'distribution.MDF', @data_file_size = 3, @log_folder = N'c:\MSSQL\Data', @log_file = N'distribution.LDF', @log_file_size = 0, @min_distretention = 0, @max_distretention = 72, @history_retention = 48, @security_mode = 1
    GO

-- Adding the distribution publisher
    exec sp_adddistpublisher @publisher = @@servername, @distribution_db = N'distribution', @security_mode = 1, @working_directory = N'c:\MSSQL\ReplData', @trusted = N'false', @thirdparty_flag = 0
    GO

-- enable replication for your database
    exec sp_replicationdboption @dbname = N'your_database', @optname = N'publish', @value = N'true'
    GO

Alek

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply