How to execute job from Server A to Server B?

• :-PHello:hehe:

My post could be duplicate but somehow I couldn't find the answer I am looking for.

Here is my senecio.

I have my Server-A is Prod/ETL server where I have schedule nightly ETL process(SP's) that finishes 1AM Daily.

I also have my Production server-B where data get updated at 4AM Daily.

Now, What I would like to accomplish is to when my ETL Process finishes at 1AM on Server-A I would like to kick of data update process on Server-B. This both job has been schedule on "Job Activity Monitor" SQL 05.

So here is my time line:

1) Server-A ETL Process finish 1AM

2) Server-B Update Process start 4AM

Between this there is not validation that if ETL Process failed than update process on Server-B SHOULD NOT start.

So, How do I create a process that when Server-A ETL process finishes successfully THEN server-B update process kick off..other wise it should not run.

Please let me know if you can provide me some guidance.

• Server A could set a PASS/FAIL flag in a table on Server B.

Server B job checks the flag to see if it should run or not.

You might also want a date, to make sure the flag is from the same day, not accidentally left from the previous day.

I'm sure there are better ideas, but that popped into my head just now.

• Alright so let me see if I understood correctly,

When my schedule SP runs on Server A at the successful there should be a script that update a table. Lets call a LogTable where FLAG = Yer/No and based on Yes/No the Server B job will kick off.

Basically - what I am trying to accomplish is to create a process that will execute job on Server B when Server A job is successfully run otherwise it should not run on Server B if the failed on Server A.

I will try to work on logic from your above response but at meanwhile let me know if you have better idea.

Looking forwad somemore answerss...

• On server A on on success you can start other server job using

'sp_start_job'.

Create a linked server from Server A to Server B.

Map your agent accounts.

If ur linked server name is Serverb,then you can try using Serverb.msdb.dbo.sp_start_job

This will trigger the job on the Server B which is supposed to run at 4 AM.

I havent tried it personally and I am nt sitting in front of a SQL box. I cant vouch it. But I guess it shd help you.

• You can also kick off job on server B using OSQL with Xp_cnmdshell by keeping this as second step of first job on server A

• OSQL is depreciated and will be removed in future versions.

XP_cmdshell is always a security concern.

Both of these shd be used as last options.

If you have a pressing need to use OSQL, use SQLCMD which is its replacement.

• Guys this is great feed back.

Here is my action plan.

I will try to follow nagarajan instruction where I will use sp_start_job by using link server to kick off job on Server B. If that does not work than I will come back to option two whis is SQLCMD.

I should be try out this week and keep my post updated.

Thank you guys and I will put step instruction on which one is work for me.

Thank You,

Keyun

• I've been using sp_startjob for years and since sql 2000. Never had any issues after 3 versions installed on 5 client sites across at least 10 servers... you should be fine ;-).

• Ninja,

I have also used sp_start_job many times but not with linked servers.

So only didnt confirm it.;-)

• Guys..this is great.

First of all thank you very much to arr.nagaraj. I followed your instruction and SP_Start_Job did work with my two box.

Here is the step:

Created last step on ServerA with below command:

USE msdb

GO

EXEC serverA.msdb.dbo.sp_start_job 'MyStep'

GO

and thats it.. I watched on ServerB where job get executed without any error. This is great...

Thanks every one specially Nagaraj for helping me out.

Appreciated.

• Glad it worked..Welcome..our pleasure 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply