How to get a handle of my queries

• Does anyone knows of a tool that will help me on managing my queries?   I have 100's of them and all scattered.  On my PC at home, some of them on my laptop, some of them at work, some in memory sticks.  Then when I need them I can't find the one I'm looking for so I end up writing the query again.

Any ideas?

[font="Verdana"]Sal Young[/font]
    [font="Verdana"]MCITP Database Administrator[/font]

• discipline / get organised ????  I carry my work on cd's with scripts in subfolders under category - 12 years work on one cd !

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• I use a tool called BeyondCompare that allows you to compare files and folders based on date, size and even binary comparison ...

It works with all files not just your Sql.  I keep a master set of files and frequently synchronize to ensure my laptop and home computer are in synch with my work computers.

There is a cost for this product.

There is also TextPad a pretty great text editor that is freeware ... it has a Unix like comparison tool that is good with text... it also has a great search tool for finding files that reference a tablename or other text string.

Good luck 

• when I move work files to archive ( so to speak ) I use robocopy. I'm reasonably well organised having a reasonably good structure in my workplace. I periodically archive my files to cd and date the cd. I then carry that cd as backup for dr in case the site goes.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• I save all my frequently run queries as tql and put them in my templates folder. then they all show up in object browser. I'm still on 2k, but I think 2k5 is the same

• Get two reasonably large USB thumb drives. For instance, I've got a 4GB one that was about $100. Get all of your queries onto one of them and organize them according to use. Then make a backup onto the other thumb drive.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Thank you so much guys.  Plenty of ideas of how I can organize my T-SQL scripts.

[font="Verdana"]Sal Young[/font]
    [font="Verdana"]MCITP Database Administrator[/font]

• Try CVS (or Subversion). Slapping one of those up on a home machine will let me have access to whatever I write whenever I feel like. Having the version control is an added bonus.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply