How to get into SQL or network administration? Total newbie needing advice!

• I was hoping to get some advice from actually people who work in programming and SQL database management. I got my bachelor's degree in journalism (big mistake) in 2007. Now I want to go back to school and one thought that has stuck with me is something in database or network administration or software programming. I'm curious, what do I need to do if I wanted to move into a computer-related field?

Can I go get a masters in this stuff, or are there undergrad requirements I won't meet? I have dabbled in stuff like HTML, CSS, flash, javascript and visual basic, but I am far from a computer whiz -- I really don't know exactly what SQL is. Ha! How do I break into this field? What is the work like for what you do -- the hours, the pay, etc.? Is it very difficult? Do you have any freedom/flexibility?

It's this or law school, but I am scared because everyone says there are more law school graduates than actual lawyer jobs. I also hear the hours of an attorney are miserable. Anything in IT seems to have a good future ahead, but I am awful at math and not sure what sort of education I need. I'd really appreciate any help!

P.S.: I posted this already in the wrong spot, sorry about that.

• To answer your questions would vary from school to school and employer to employer. What are the hours like - depends on how well you do your job and how much you care about your responsibilities. There can be many times where a 30-40 hour day are necessary to get the job done.

There is a resource that can be quite helpful for you to peruse.

Exceptional DBA EBook Download

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Try your local community colleges for cheap classes in:

- MS Access to see if you can think like a DBA or DB developer

- Intro to programming (VB, Java) to see if you can think like a programmer

The more math you can hack, the more suited you become for technical jobs. An intro class to Discrete Math could be fun, and useful. Algebra can give you valuable mental tools for problem solving, which is at the heart of programming.

-MarkO

"You do not really understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein

• I have to ask what leads from an interest in journalism to an interest in doing SQL, especially since you mention that you aren't familiar with what SQL is. What caused that leap to come to mind?

If what you want is IT, I'd say take some classes and read some books on various aspects of IT and find what branch interests you most. It might be SQL, but it might equally be network administration, telecom, security, software development, tech support, or management. Till you've explored the options a little bit, jumping into a particular specialty is just as likely to result in frustration as in satisfaction.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Other than what has already been suggested, I would add that you go to your local colleges and inquire about "auditing" a class. Most colleges charge a small fee, but it is a much cheaper rate than paying for the whole class. Class audits do not effect your college GPA either. Some may suggest talking with the professor of the class you want to audit and just ask if he/she minds you sitting in the back of the room or in a empty seat. You might try that before going to ask the college. If you catch a professor that actually enjoys teaching the subject, they usually don't mind.

As far as going straight to a masters, most major colleges are going to require you to take the bachelor level classes for an IT masters degree. I went with the Business side of IT for my degree, and have looked at the master programs where I live and they are not worth it to me. It was only about 5 classes of IT at a master level, the rest was all business classes. Which is understandable, but not something I want to put time in.

Another thing would be to find a career counselor, most colleges have one in each "school" (school of business, science, etc) of the college. They may have some equivalence test or something that kind find your strong points or show your weak points, and suggest a major or field that best suites your talents.

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

• Hey,

i would say start off with w3schools.com to get a taste of the SQL. It is a very simple programming language and you should be able to learn it quickly.

Later you can join some institututions which can teach you some DBA stuff:-)

Doing a Master's in Computers with any background is foolishness. You will really have to struggle to complete it. I would suggest a quick diploma in computers.

Chitanya Chitturi :-)
  • ...SQL...a very simple programming language...

hmmm...

:blink:

-MarkO

"You do not really understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein

• CirquedeSQLeil (8/25/2009)

There can be many times where a 30-40 hour day are necessary to get the job done.

I have yet to work a 30-40 hour day 🙂 but regularly work 50-60 hour weeks.

• 50-60 hr weeks are very common too:hehe:

Nothing like 30hrs straight to get the juices flowing:doze:

But as a DBA if something comes up that requires it, you have to grin and do it.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Edogg (8/26/2009)

CirquedeSQLeil (8/25/2009)

There can be many times where a 30-40 hour day are necessary to get the job done.

I have yet to work a 30-40 hour day 🙂 but regularly work 50-60 hour weeks.

I've done 72-hour "days" (no sleep for 3 days straight), but it's been a few years, and I'm not sure I'd even be able to handle it these days.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply