How to hide/show the parameters conditionally?

• Hi,

I am designing a report that recognizes who is logged in: Based on the type of user log in, I have to show the parameters.

For a clear understanding:

I have two levels of users:

1. Supervisor

2. Employee

If supervisor is the person who is logged in: Then he should get following prompts: Select employee, Date

If employee is the person who is logged in: Then he should get only the date prompt.

Please let me know how can I acheive this in SSRS 2005.

• this is a pretty easy one, create a data source that filters based on the System_User function in sql. This will require you to use windows authentication.

then all you have to do is populate a parameter the data source.

• I don't think it's possible to control the availability (visibility) of parameter prompts, conditionally, in SSRS.

At best, I think you can control only the values available in the parameter prompts. So, depending on who is logged in, perhaps you can use a query that sets the default values available in the prompts.

If it is possible to control the visibility/availability of parameter prompts conditionally, I'd like to know as well!

--Pete

• peterzeke is right, i miss read your question, you cannot control parameter hidden property. You are best off creating an asp.net page to handle this.

or just create two reports and set the permissions as needed.

• Could you create an "Employee" drop down parameter? Then if an employee runs the report, the only value would be their name, otherwise if a supervisor logged in, then they would see all names?

This could be achieved by modifiying the dataset driving the available values.

• Thanks for the replies...

gkerscher, your solution seems like a better work around. I will definitely try and post if it works.

Thanks

RG

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply