How To Identify Tables That Are Not Empty?

• Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever tried to list the tables in their database that actually contained data?

I've created a 2 column table to catch results.

Well..... actually I created a 1 column table at first and used INFORMATIONSCHEMA to populate it with the list of table name like this:

insert into X_TABLE_LIST

Select TABLE_NAME from INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES where TABLE_NAME not like '%_VIEW'

Then I went back and added a second Column called RECORDS. So now X_TABLE_LIST is really a 2 column table.

I'm at a loss as to how I can insert the results from something like select count(*) into the RECORDS column of my table wherever the TABLE_NAME column of INFORMATION)SCHEMA.TABLES equals the TABLE_NAME in my X_TABLE_LIST table.

If successful my little X_TABLE_LIST table would look something like this:

TABLE_NAME RECORDS

ACCOUNTS 10022

STUDENTS 12003

COURSES 910

ADDRESSES 12000

EVENTS 0

STAFF 400

With this information I would be able to Identify that table(s) that have records and the tables that dont without having to go through 4000 tables by hand.

I'm probably over explaining it, but I hope you get the jist.

Thanks,

Chris

• I use the following script to pull a list of tables and space used. Add a HAVING clause to only return those tables with > 0 rows, and it should provide what you're looking for.

-Eddie

SELECT object_name(s.object_id) as

sum(CASE WHEN index_id 10000 --AND index_id < 2

GROUP BY OBJECT_ID

Eddie Wuerch
    MCM: SQL

• Try this.

select o.name as "Table Name",i.rowcnt as "Row_Count"

from sysobjects o, sysindexes i

where i.id = o.id

and indid in(0,1) and o.name not like 'sys%' and o.name not like 'dt%' and i.rowcnt 0

order by i.rowcnt desc

SQL DBA.

• Eddie Wuerch (8/21/2009)

I use the following script to pull a list of tables and space used. Add a HAVING clause to only return those tables with > 0 rows, and it should provide what you're looking for.

-Eddie

SELECT object_name(s.object_id) as

sum(CASE WHEN index_id 10000 --AND index_id < 2

GROUP BY OBJECT_ID

Fits like a glove!!

Big Thanks!!!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply