How to Identify when a specific sql server build was installed on production

• I have an issue identifying the version of software that was installed on my production server. When I run

select @@version

I get the following output:

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP1) - 10.50.2500.0 (X64) Jun 17 2011 00:54:03 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

But what I really want to know is.. was this a direct sqlserver 2008 r2 sp1 install or a sql server 2008 install first and then an upgrade to r2 and then to sp1.

The reason I ask is I am bringing up a secondary server sooner and implementing double take as our HA solution. When I tested double take in our test environment it had set up issues on sql versions (primary test sql server was upgraded from sql server 2008 to 2008 r2 to sp1 where as secondary server was a direct install). Currently the production sql server version is 2008 r2 sp1 and I wanted to know how was it brought to SP1 and want to follow the same steps on the new secondary server as well.

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” -- John Quincy Adams

• Installation of SQL and of service packs leaves a log file behind, so as long as those still exist, you have a shot by looking for them and seeing which ones you can find. Not sure if any of these processes overwrite log files from the others or not, but it's at least an avenue to pursue.

• If you've installed these updates recently you may be able to run EXEC Xp_readerrorlog # replacing # with however many historical logs your server retains. For example I just ran this on one of my test servers and it has logs going back about 8 months:

EXEC Xp_readerrorlog 0

EXEC Xp_readerrorlog 1

EXEC Xp_readerrorlog 2

EXEC Xp_readerrorlog 3

EXEC Xp_readerrorlog 4

EXEC Xp_readerrorlog 5

EXEC Xp_readerrorlog 6

Your server may go back further or not as far, not sure, but this just looks through the physical SQL logs saved on your server, which in my case is E:\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Log\.

Alternatively you may be able to check Add/Remove Programs on the server and click Show Updates which will show when each Update was installed. That may be a quicker option now that I think about it ...

• Was the service pack1 slipstreamed?

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” -- John Quincy Adams

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply