How to improve Database Mirroring restore rate over WAN

• We have database mirroring running in asynch mode over a WAN from London -> Paris. The speed, which I have tested by simple copying a large file and timing it, is about 7Mb/sec. I have tested the filecopy seperately to both the data and log file drives.

Unfortunately, the max restore rate we get is 3Mb/sec. This causes a massive backlog of up to 80Gb if unsent log which can take up to 10 hours to restore over to the mirror.

Are there any tweaks to improve the restore rate? IO is not the issue and we can't upgrade to SQL2008 just yet to take advantage of the compression.

cheers

thanks

SQL_EXPAT

• I'm not aware of any way to get around this based on your circumstances. Did you check the wait stats / perfmon to identify the limiting factor? Assuming that nothing else is taking your bandwidth, it has to be something on the mirror server/database - you don't have snapshots against the mirror do you?

• No, the DR server is totally passive and we dont run any database or disk snapshots.

Murphys Law now that I want to pull some wait stats the server is 100% in synch. Once it lags again I'll pull some wait stats. Thanks for the tip - that may help me identify to cause.

thanks

SQL_EXPAT

• I bet it would go very much faster the other way around :w00t: :hehe:

Did you check these Database Mirroring Best Practices and Performance Considerations ? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc917681.aspx

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Ok, so at them moment I have an unsent log of 4090945 KB and current restore rate of 2574 KB/sec which gives me an estimated 25 minute lag.

Wait stats on Mirror show 84% of the waits on waittype DBMIRRORING_CMD:

From BOL:

"Occurs when a task is waiting for log records to be flushed to disk. This wait state is expected to be held for long periods of time."

I dont think this can be optmised any further....

thanks

SQL_EXPAT

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply