How to install SP3a on SQL Server Personal Editon?

• Hello all.

I need to create an unattended install of SQL Server sp3a for SQL Server Personal Edition.

I already understand the mechanics of how to perform an unattended install. This works fine for the basic install of SQL Server Personal Edition. However, I now need to install service pack 3a.

I have already tried the main SQL Server sp3a but it has been failing because of a problem upgrading MSSearch (which I'm not even using!). I suspect I need to run a different sp3a for the Personal Edition.

Does anybody have any information on this?

I am assuming the Personal Edition is different from the Desktop Edition, which does seem to have its own service pack 3a.

Many thanks.

• First I would read the Readme file included with SP3a. It should have the command line you need to use to install SP3a. If not try looking at the following...

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/downloads/2000/sp3.asp

Gary Johnson

Microsoft Natural Language Group

DBA, Sr. DB Engineer

Gary Johnson
    Microsoft Natural Language Group
    DBA, Sr. DB Engineer

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. The opinions expressed in this post are my own and may not reflect that of my employer.

• Thanks for responding.

I was able to get around the unattended install problem I reported originally by going into the appropriate .iss file and changing the UpgradeMSSearch option from 0 to 1 (see below).

[SdSP3WrngDlg-0]

EnableCrossDBChaining=0

UpgradeMSSearch=1

MSXTSXUpgraded=0

Result=1

A few other points I feel I should make ...

From what I could see, there was no way to run a simulated install of sp3a and record responses so that you can later run an unattended install file using your saved choices. For those of you who are not familiar with this, when doing an initial install of SQL Server, you can choose an option to save the responses into a file and then run the unattended install later using these choices. It works great.

I was doing my install of sp3a on a machine running Windows XP. I wasn't sure which .iss file to use. The documentation referred to machines running Windows 2000 or Windows NT 4.0 (use Sql2kdef.iss) and machines running Windows Millennium or Windows 98 (use Sql2k9x.iss). I saw no mention of Windows XP. In the end, I choose the Sql2k9x.iss file and it seemed to work fine.

Hope this thread is useful to somebody else someday.

- Mike

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply