How to know Integration/Analysis and Reporting services is being used

• Hi All,

Is there any way I can check whether Integration, Analysis and Reporting service are actually used?

I have several SQL DB servers which above services were installed and running, but I do not think these services are actually being used. Theses are production servers and some applications are installed too. So I can not just stop the service. Other than checking the stored package or cubes, is there any way I can make sure these services are not being used?

thanks in advance.

• For SSRS I'd check to see if any reports have been created against them. If there are you can also see the use history of the reports. I don't have access to an SSRS server right now and I can't remember the query off the top of my head.

I can't tell you much about SSAS although you can setup traces against it to see if anyone is accessing is.

For SSIS I'd check for packages stored against the instances. Not sure what you'd query there, but I think that information is in msdb.

It really sounds to me like they just used the defaults when they installed SQL...

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• ohchaos-724142 (2/3/2011)

Hi All,

Is there any way I can check whether Integration, Analysis and Reporting service are actually used?

I have several SQL DB servers which above services were installed and running, but I do not think these services are actually being used. Theses are production servers and some applications are installed too. So I can not just stop the service. Other than checking the stored package or cubes, is there any way I can make sure these services are not being used?

thanks in advance.

Log onto the individual services (SSAS, SSIS, SSRS) in Management Studio and see if any objects exist.

1) Analysis Services: See if there are databases under the databases folder on the server. If so it may be use by an app

2) Integration Services: See if there are packages under the "running packages" & "stored packages" folders. If so there may be packages using the service

3) Reporting Services: There are several ways however I will try logging onto "Report Manager" URL @ http://<ComputerName>/reports to see if anything is out there first.

Thanks

MCTS: BI 2008, MCITP: BI 2008
    Stay Thirsty My Friends

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply