How to limit numbers of record display in report?

• Hello!

I am having a bit of a hard time trying to figure out how I can limit the number of rows displayed for a particular report. The goal is to only display the top 25 records.

Currently I have the report setup as follows: Created a table to hold the header lines & detail records. Was trying to limit the numbers of records shown by using the Hidden property for the TableRow via this code

=iif(RowNumber(Nothing) > 25, True, False)

It works to certain extent because it does not display the records after 25, but still print all the header lines. To alleviate that concern I made the 'repeat on new page' property false. Problem is now I get 10 additional blank pages. I am getting my data from a stored procedure that returns all records and is properly sorted ahead of time.

How should I structure this report to display only 25 records?

Also have another report with a similiar concern, but it is broken by top 25 per dept.

Please advise...

Mike

• Possibly a silly question but why not just set the stored procedure to return the top 25 records?

Steve.

• That is what I did for one of the reports. The one that is still giving me trouble is the one that needs the top 25 per comp/dept. I believe this coding will need to take place in the report but unsure how to tackle it.

Thought is to try and use the rownumber. Is there a counter in a group that can be used?

Mike

• SELECT O.XType

, O.name

FROM dbo.SysObjects O

WHERE ID IN (SELECT TOP 25 ID FROM dbo.SysObjects O2 WHERE O2.XType = O.XType order by O2.Name)

ORDER BY O.XType, O.Name

• So you are suggesting handling it in the Stored proc...

Here is my current procedure:

declare @currentdate datetime

set @currentdate = getdate()

SELECT  dbo.CreateReportString('NBUR1200-1', A.NBUCMPNY, A.NBUDEPT) as Co_Dept,

dateadd(d, -1, convert(datetime, cast(month(@currentdate) as varchar(2)) + '/1/' + cast(year(@currentdate) as varchar(4)), 101)) as EndDate,

A.NBUCMPNY, A.NBUDEPT, A.NCTBACCT, A.AYTDREVN,

B.TCSTNAM1, B.TCSTNAM2,

C.TNBUNAME

FROM   (SELECT NBUCMPNY, NBUDEPT, NCTBACCT, MIN(NCTBSACT) NCTBSACT, SUM(AYTDREVN)  AYTDREVN

FROM dbo.NBUORDER     

WHERE DMATCHDT > '12/31/1997' AND AYTDREVN <> 0

GROUP BY NBUCMPNY, NBUDEPT, NCTBACCT)  A,

CUSTOMER B, NBUOFFIC C

WHERE  A.NCTBACCT = B.NCSTACCT AND A.NCTBSACT = B.NCSTSACT AND A.NBUCMPNY = C.NBUCMPNY AND A.NBUDEPT = C.NBUDEPT

ORDER BY  A.NBUCMPNY, A.NBUDEPT,  A.AYTDREVN DESC

Not sure how I can add your logic in?

• It would look something like this (untested)

SELECT NBUCMPNY, NBUDEPT, NCTBACCT, MIN(NCTBSACT) NCTBSACT, SUM(AYTDREVN) AYTDREVN

FROM dbo.NBUORDER

WHERE DMATCHDT > '12/31/1997' AND AYTDREVN 0

and ID IN (Select ID from dbo.NBUORDER N2 WHERE DMATCHDT > '12/31/1997' AND AYTDREVN 0 AND N2.NBUCMPNY = dbo.NBUORDER.NBUCMPNY AND N2.NCTBACCT = dbo.NBUORDER.NCTBACCT AND N2.NBUDEPT = dbo.NBUORDER.NBUDEPT ORDER BY ??)

GROUP BY NBUCMPNY, NBUDEPT, NCTBACCT

• I dont see / understand how this will give me the Top 25 records for each comp/dept.

• Try the exemple I showed you, it's pretty straight forward... this is something you must learn before using.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply