How to make an action on each row from a data set

• select distinct(employeeid) from dbo.rollingdutyrostershift where rollingdutyrosterid = 8)

selects 13 different employeeid's (37, 74, 75 etc)

For each, I want to make this update:

Update dbo.rollingdutyrostershift set employeegroupid = (select employeegroupid from dbo.employeegroupmaptoemployee where employeeid = 75) where employeeid = 75

where '75' is the employeeid's from the first select statement (i.e. 37,74,75 etc)

How to?

Edvard Korsbæk

• Please check this query:

UPDATE t1

SET t1.employeegroupid = t2.employeegroupid

FROM dbo.rollingdutyrostershift t1

INNER JOIN dbo.employeegroupmaptoemployee t2

ON t1.employeeid = t2.employeeid

WHERE t1.employeeid IN (37, 74, 75 etc)

• Did the trick - Thanks:-).

Not urgent, but how to make it in a WHILE loop instead.

I do not need it here, but it seems wrong, that i cannot do it as i program in all other languages.

Best regards

Edvard Korsbæk

• edvard 19773 (4/15/2012)

Did the trick - Thanks:-).

Not urgent, but how to make it in a WHILE loop instead.

I do not need it here, but it seems wrong, that i cannot do it as i program in all other languages.

Best regards

Edvard Korsbæk

You can do it, but I don't suggest you do, as it will be an order of magnitude slower and will require more lines of code.

SQL Server is optimised for set-based operations, not row-by-row operations.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Still thanks for having solved my immideate problem!

I am aware of, that your solution is much faster than a row by row solution, and in this case, its the right way to do it.

But sometimes, its just much easyer to see 'How to' solve a problem that way

That was the case here - I could not figure out how to make your query, but in a program code, i would have used less than 5 minutes to write the loop.

So, i still want to be able to make a loop on the distinct employee's - Not for use now, but for use in the future, when i need to solve something, which is easier understndable that way.

Best regards

Edvard Korsbæk

• edvard 19773 (4/15/2012)

Still thanks for having solved my immideate problem!

I am aware of, that your solution is much faster than a row by row solution, and in this case, its the right way to do it.

That was the case here - I could not figure out how to make your query, but in a program code, i would have used less than 5 minutes to write the loop.

So, i still want to be able to make a loop on the distinct employee's - Not for use now, but for use in the future, when i need to solve something, which is easier understndable that way.

Best regards

Edvard Korsbæk

I continue to advise against it. Instead, I recommend presenting your problems to the community here and learning how to do things the way a database developer would do them. Your solutions will be faster (in every sense) and you'll learn new skills along the way.

If a particular problem requires a row-by-row solution (there are some), one will no doubt be provided. WHILE loops are supported in T-SQL if required.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (4/15/2012)

edvard 19773 (4/15/2012)

Still thanks for having solved my immideate problem!

Best regards

Edvard Korsbæk

I continue to advise against it. Instead, I recommend presenting your problems to the community here and learning how to do things the way a database developer would do them. Your solutions will be faster (in every sense) and you'll learn new skills along the way.

If a particular problem requires a row-by-row solution (there are some), one will no doubt be provided. WHILE loops are supported in T-SQL if required.

i only use a while loop if im using the product of the @Count directly in what ever im doing. otherwise there is usually a set based method for doing any thing in SQL.

For faster help in answering any problems Please read How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden[/url] for the best way to ask your question.

For performance Issues see how we like them posted here: How to Post Performance Problems - Gail Shaw[/url]

Need to Split some strings? Jeff Moden's DelimitedSplit8K[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 1[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 2[/url]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply