How to migrate EVERYTHING from one Report Server 2008 instance, to another Report Server 2008 instance on another physical server

• OK, I have a Report Server 2008 that's got users, folders, reports, etc. It's been in prodcution for a year now and everything on it is fine. But the server has to be retired now. So we brought in a new server and installed Report Server 2008 on it. So we simply want to just move everything from the old report server to the new report server. How best to achieve this? Thanks in advance to all who reply!

• On the new system - did you just install reporting services, or do you have a new instance with new databases?

If you just installed reporting services, then you are going to need a copy of the existing databases to use with that instance. If you have a new instance with it's own databases - you can use the following tool: http://www.sqldbatips.com/showarticle.asp?ID=62

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Hi Jeff and thanks for the reply! OK, both old and new servers only have the Report Server services installed. No database engine.

This is where I'm stuck. In my online research, everyone says to copy the ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB databases and simply restore them to the new server.

But how do I do that? I connect to Report Server via Reporting Services, SSMS. But in the tree on the left window, All I see are folders for Jobs, Security and Shared Schedules. No folder for databases. So I don't see how I could copy or restore. I don't think I even see an option to write a query.

I also looked in the file structure for the servers and couldn't find the data and log files for the Report Server databases either.

Please advise! Much appreciated and thanks again.

• Hi Jeff - OK, I've made some progress and found out through the Reporting Services Configuration Manager that the ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB databases are being stored on another server! The other server has a sql server database engine that has the report server database on it.

Sorry about that. Learning my way around Report Server and just now discovered the config manager.

So using config manager, I then pushed the 'Change Database' button in the 'Database' tab. So for my new Report Server, I attempted to point it to the old report server's database. The connection was succesful, but when opening the page for the new report server, I got an error message:

The report server installation is not initialized. (rsReportServerNotActivated)

So I guess (while leaving the new report server configuration pointed back to the new report server's database) I take a copy of the old report server's database and restore it into the new report server's database? Thanks again!

• I've just done this and it took a couple of practice attempts to get it right.

STOP Reporting Service first.

Database names cannot be changed when copying Reporting services, hence I'm stuck with reports_test on my live server 🙁

refer to

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms156421.aspx

restore the databases then use reporting config manager to restore encryption key from old server to unlock the data sources and connect new database. This also sets up the sql agent jobs for subscriptions and shared schedules.

When you get it right it's great.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply