How to Monitor SQL servers

• Elliott Whitlow (6/28/2011)

Jayanth_Kurup (6/28/2011)

If your on a budget there is always the SSRS route , assuming you know which system tables to query

I don't see this as much of a solution, my biggest issue is that it stored no history and any counters you are using either have to support history already or you are going to have to build something to save it.

What this solution can do is give you a snapshot of right now.

CEWII

Actually I have a local instance of sql express to which I log the information and have the reports run off this local database.

Linked server + jobs to collect stats + local database + SSRS = Customized reporting console for your servers

Jayanth Kurup[/url]

• Jayanth_Kurup (6/29/2011)

Elliott Whitlow (6/28/2011)

Jayanth_Kurup (6/28/2011)

If your on a budget there is always the SSRS route , assuming you know which system tables to query

I don't see this as much of a solution, my biggest issue is that it stored no history and any counters you are using either have to support history already or you are going to have to build something to save it.

What this solution can do is give you a snapshot of right now.

CEWII

Actually I have a local instance of sql express to which I log the information and have the reports run off this local database.

Linked server + jobs to collect stats + local database + SSRS = Customized reporting console for your servers

I'm glad you are collecting the information, I usually caution using linked servers if you have more than one server you are querying, I've seen WAY to many times a failure in a linked server early in the list will often prevent collection of servers further up the list. In most cases I have switched entirely to SSIS for the movement of the data itself and in all cases have seen performance improvements.

CEWII

• Here, here, no linked servers. Way to fragile.

At least have each server collect and store it's own info, then roll it up.

• I used to (over) use linked servers in SQL 2000, got burned over and over, switched to more DTS got burned less, switched to SSIS got burned WAY less..

With all that said I don't totally recommend never using linked servers, but I usually ask MANY questions before we go down that path. One of my first is tied to the need for the information to be current to the moment, if not, then how long of a delay is workable, 1h, 2? A day? Even if the answer is to the moment additional questions are asked because people don't understand the tradeoffs or the costs. Given all this, what I usually have happen is either daily or hourly loads and for REALLY timely data, discrete queries of just that data.

If I can do it without a linked server I will, too fragile.

CEWII

• These environments are fairly low down the ladder , I am of course an accidental DBA so didn't really need a bullet proof approach , just one that lets me know if I am going to have a bad day or not 😀

Jayanth Kurup[/url]

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply