How to Move System Databases to a New Physical Directory

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item How to Move System Databases to a New Physical Directory

Thanks,
    Kimberly Killian
    Sr. DBA / DB Engineer
    www.sitedataview.com
    Follow me on Twitter
    Follow me on Facebook

• Something I should practice... for sure!

I have to admit that my very first response to the question was "Can I do this with the dbatools PowerShell library?" I should have a look at that too... especially since if you're moving system databases around, you're probably doing a bunch of other stuff that's just begging to be automated.

• Isn't there a hidden system database you also need to take care of?

• No there are not.

Thanks,
    Kimberly Killian
    Sr. DBA / DB Engineer
    www.sitedataview.com
    Follow me on Twitter
    Follow me on Facebook

• Isn't there a hidden system database named references?

• Sorry, not reference but 'resource' database.  Hidden system database introduced in SQL Server 2005.

• rchantler wrote:

Sorry, not reference but 'resource' database.  Hidden system database introduced in SQL Server 2005.

Good thought as people often overlook the resource database. It's not a database to move though. It needs to be in the default location in the MSSQL\Binn directory. It was a little different on SQL Server 2005 where you could move it but it needed to be in the directory with the master data file. They do mention in the current documentation that it shouldn't be moved:

Resource Database

Sue

• No it is not necessary to move that one.

Thanks,
    Kimberly Killian
    Sr. DBA / DB Engineer
    www.sitedataview.com
    Follow me on Twitter
    Follow me on Facebook

• Hi,

Registered so I could thank you!  Not a DBA but had to recover a database after a major hardware failure, this guide was followed to the letter & a critical system was moved from barely working storage to shiny flash storage.

Thank you.

• Can't thank you enough! My job was a Covid casualty - unemployed for just over a year. Been playing with SQL Express - this REALLY helped to knock off some cobwebs.

Much appreciated!

Paul

• Thanks for this.

I think there's a missing piece in the move the master DB part.

I don't see the part where you actually physically move the mdf and ldf for master.

regards

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply