How to move system dbs to new SAN drive in cluster server?

• Hi,

I have to move an entire SQL Server system dbs (and also user databases) from current basic drive W: to new SAN drive H: in cluster server. During the installation, I put Program Files to C: drive and Data Files to W: drive. After move all dbs, we will get rid of drive W. My questions are:

1) I try to following the article http://www.support.microsoft.com/?id=224071 Moving SQL Server Databases to a New Location with Detach/Attach. If this is the case, after SQL Server system dbs moved, how about the those cluster Configuration files under the subdirectory FTDATA and Config, do I need copy them to new SAN drive manually since they were automatically generate from installation?

2) When move SQL System database what kind order should I follow, msdb, master, model, tempdb or must master first?

3) During the move, it need perform many times to Stop and then restart SQL Server, this should be use Cluster Administrator to offline SQL Server instance or should go to the control panel services manually stop and restart SQL Server services?

Regards,

-Jenny

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• First, I would not move the system databases in a clustered enviornment if I could help it at all. I would generate scripts of users, jobs, operators and permissions detach the databases copy them over attach them then run in everything that was scripted off. I used this method to move 14 servers earlier this year. If you like I can email you a sample DTS package that generates almost everything you need. It is rough but it works.

Wes

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply