How to order by

• Hi i have situation where i need to order by not by desc or asc but according to given report

Ex if coolumn ALPA as B,C,D,E,R,T ,Z then i have to display according to report

Coloumn ALPA as z ,E,B,R,C,T

• One way to acheive this would be to create a reference table with the distinct ALPA values and the desired ranking of each value, then to order your table you would simply need to join to the reference table and order by rank column

• maybe something like this?

Ex if coolumn ALPA as B,C,D,E,R,T ,Z then i have to display according to report

Coloumn ALPA as z ,E,B,R,C,T

ORDER BY

CASE

WHEN ALPA IN ('B','C','D','E','R','T' ,'Z')

THEN 2

ELSE 1

END DESC,ALPA DESC, OTHERCOLS

this would force items with ALPA in the selected group to appear first, followed by stuff that is outside of the desired group.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• steveb. (3/31/2010)

One way to acheive this would be to create a reference table with the distinct ALPA values and the desired ranking of each value, then to order your table you would simply need to join to the reference table and order by rank column

This would be my preference, since it could take advantage of an index. ORDER BY CASE cannot.

• Try this SQL

order by

CASE WHEN ALPA = 'Z' THEN 0

WHEN ALPA = 'E' THEN 1

WHEN ALPA = 'B' THEN 2

WHEN ALPA = 'R' THEN 3

WHEN ALPA = 'C' THEN 4

WHEN ALPA = 'T' THEN 5

ELSE 99 END

😀

• yes, and it's easy to change the order when using this method. For order by case, the query need to be changed, so the application need to be changed.

Welcome to my website: DB Expert

• xinyu.wang1 (4/4/2010)

For order by case, the query need to be changed, so the application need to be changed.

Unless dynamic SQL is used 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply